Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Nikon Coolpix S32. I charge it using the provided…

I have a Nikon...

I have a Nikon Coolpix S32. I charge it using the provided USB cable and AC adapter. Recently it refused to charge after the battery became exhausted. The battery is an "EN-EL 19" and is the one that came with the camera. How can I get the camera working again?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your CoolPix?

Maybe four years - not sure. Serial # is 50002505

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your CoolPix?

I have two sets of charger cables (one left over from a previous pocket Nikon). Neither works. I have also tried removing the SD card before attempting to charge - no luck.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

Camera has been used in salt water several times but not to depths greater than three or four feet. It was working fine recently.

3/20/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

If your camera is 4 years since purchase date, and if the battery came with it, the battery is 4 years or so old, and is most likely to be the part that is at fault. Rechargeable batteries of all types and technologies used in portable electronic devices do fail eventually, either failing to charge or failing to deliver enough voltage/power to support the device.

The replacement battery pack (EN-EL19 or replacement for it) needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I have ordered a new battery and a charger as well. I will see if it solves the problem.

The battery is probably what is defective, not the charger. But ordering both makes sure the camera should be in fully working order again ASAP.

If you're done with this case, please rate my answer - five stars would be appreciated!

If you'd rather wait to see whether you will need further advice for this problem, that's OK too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will rate the answer when I get the new battery. I bought a charger in case there is something not right about the internal charging system for the camera. Right now you leave the battery in the camera and connect the camera to an outlet via a USB and an AC adapter. I want to be able to have continuous use anyway, so an external charger is a good idea. Thanks again - I hope this works!

So do I - it should work. Have a good evening!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately the battery does not seem to be the problem. I got an external charger and the old battery charger up just fine, but the camera still doesn't turn on. Tried a new battery as well. Any further thoughts?

I'm sorry to have to say that the only option at this point that will get this camera working again, I think, is to send it to Nikon Repair:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-and-repair.page

I realize this must be disappointing. But at this point, unless an old battery leaked brownish corrosion into/onto the battery compartment terminals, it is likely an electronic failure that will require disassembly, inspection, and repair.

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech