Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My smoke detector is "chirping" about once every 12 hrs.

Customer Question
My smoke detector is...

My smoke detector is "chirping" about once every 12 hrs. I've replaced the battery twice. I have 5 other identical units in my house, and this is the only one doing this.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Kidde i12060a

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Replaced the battery = twice. Have now taken it down (unplugged) from ceiling, blew compressed air through it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Mfg. date: July 2013

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/20/2018
Electronics Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 4 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......what you have there is an integrated system .......meaning if one is effected then they all are so if you treat one you need to have the same remedy for all so........

Disconnect each smoke detector……. if they are hard-wired leave them disconnected…... you’ll un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each……... if they also have a battery, remove each and click the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor…….. once each smoke has been disconnected from power, listen if the chirping goes away or if you still hear it.

If only a battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds.............again to discharge the capacitor...........once this is completed, kill power to the circuit breakers completely to the OFF position............. then it dust off each with a compressed air canister (like the one you use for your computer) wipe with a soft cloth and install fresh batteries in each and replace………..Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Electronics Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 3 months ago

I trust this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie