Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

HPoffice PRO 800 will not switch on, is it worth reoairing?

Customer Question
HPoffice PRO 800...

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Office Pro 800 won't switch on, is it wont repairing,

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Office pro8000

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Checked ink cartridges at end of travel and any openings like top firmly seated, removed power for several hours, still wont answer button, great printer, not long new ink

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Seems all thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/19/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Thank You make a lot of practical sense, you also make me realise that the machine is quite old and it is time I bought anotherIt will be a HP of course, I have been involved with products in the electronic and measuring fields for over 70 years.Thanks again
You’re very welcome!