Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Windows 10 update keeps failing to complete. stops at 82%

Windows 10 update keeps...

Windows 10 update keeps failing to complete. stops at 82% complete.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Gateway desktop

Technician's Assistant: What Gateway model do you have?

DX4860-UB33P

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Gateway? What have you tried so far?

Several weeks

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I am now receiving messages that if latest windows 10 is not installed Microsoft will stop its support on April 10

3/19/2018
Kraig
Kraig, Engineer

Hi, I'm Kraig. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Since you’re having problems with Windows Update, make sure you're connected to the Internet, and then download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter for your version of Windows 10. Click here to download the troubleshooter.

After the troubleshooter is done, try running Windows Update again and install any available updates.

I hope that my answer has been helpful. If so, please select 3, 4, or 5 stars and click the Submit button so that I can be paid for helping you because we do not get paid automatically.
Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a lovely day.

Per your advice, I used the Windows 10 Update Assistant to attempt t0 update to the latest version of Windows 10. (My PC is currently running version 14393. The latest version is 16299.) After a few hours, the update stalled out at 83% complete. Question: If I simply buy and install the latest version of Windows 10 am I likely to have success?

It all depends on if the issue that is affecting the current update you are running will not also affect the installation of the latest version that you purchase. I cannot say definitively that you won't run into the same problem that you are having with the updates stalling at around 83$, but it is worth a shot. Many people have had the same issue that you are facing and the update assistant helped them to complete their upgrade. I too had the same problem where my updates refused to go beyond 92%. It was not until I used the update assistant that I was able to finally get the latest version.

However, I think it is worth a try buying the latest version to see if it will install without any problems.

Kraig
Kraig, Engineer