Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Yamaha rx-v2065 with old plasma tv using component…

I have a Yamaha...

I have a Yamaha rx-v2065 with old plasma tv using component cable connection. I also have Comcast Cable service so trying to connect cable box to receiver and then to tv. Can get video but no audio. Any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Technician's Assistant: When did this audio problem start with your RX-V2065?

Yamaha receiver is a hand-me-down but new to me. this is the first time i have tried to connect it.

Technician's Assistant: Is the audio working with headphones or external speakers?

Let me try... i can get audio if i use cdmi connection from cable box to receiver, but no video, so audio does work.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?

Sorry, hdmi not cdmi. is it possible to use cdmi connection from cable box to receiver and component from receiver to tv?

3/17/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

When using the component video connections, do you also have a set of red and white RCA cables from the audio out on the cable box to the audio in labeled "Cbl/SAT" on the Yamaha?

i do have red/white RCS cables but can't locate the CBi/SAT input...

Okay hang on please. Also offhand it is not possible to use HDMI to the receiver and component to the TV- the Yamaha does not "down-scale" video. Please standby.

Your cable box should have an optical audio output- can you check and see?

okay, i thought down-scaling was an issue. the manual shows the video connection but unclear on the audio. I can send you a picture if you want.

I have a picture of the Yamaha in front of me. On the back of the cable box is there an optical jack?

cable box does not have an optical connection but receiver does. Cable box has cable, cdmi, CAT-5 network and USB but no optical connection.
hdmi not cdmi

Okay. Ideally you want to use the vertical row of jacks on the Yamaha for "AV1" and use the component cables, and then an optical cable from the cable box. What's the modem number of the cable box please?

Xfinity PX001ANM

Is there a digital coaxial audio out on that box?

There is a coax out but not sure if it is digital or audio only...

It would be an orange or black single RCA jack (not a screw on cable TV coaxial). Let me know.

sorry, yes, i do have one of those

No problem. That is the one you want to use. Run a single RCA cable from that jack to the ORANGE "coaxial" jack above "AV 2" on the Yamaha, and then run the component video cables to the jacks above that coaxial. Set the Yamaha to AV 2 and you should have picture and sound. Let me know.

the connector on the cable box has a funky door/cover. do i need a special RCA cable to connect?

If it has a funky door cover then that is an OPTICAL jack. Use an optical cable in this case and connect to the optical jack on AV 1 on the Yamaha and run component cables to the component video inputs above AV 1. Look at the back of the Yamaha and identify the optical jack. Look on the cable box and identify the type of jack.

okay, i don't have an optical cable so I'll have to go buy one.
would they have included an optical cable with the cable box? Can you describe what it looks like?

Okay no problem. No, they do not include them with the box. You can get them for $5 at Best Buy and this will solve the problem. AV 1 on the Yamaha supports component video and optical and will give you digital audio on the Yamaha and video on the TV. The link below is to the optical cable:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-8-digital-optical-audio-cable-black/9483209.p?skuId=9483209&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=711e3d4c-e2ed-4d8f-a838-f8a895f326d7&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg252604&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CjwKCAjw-bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB81aWU70VB2HhEw8gxdHrrKjNnOGf2XHFAKvYkV-A4zXGv7QTQzGEcRoCFZIQAvD_BwE

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician
sure thing. thanks for your help!

You're very welcome!