Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Well I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice on…

Well I was just...

Well I was just looking to see if anyone had any advice on my Bose Lifestyle 5 with the Acoustimas 9 I had it in storage for a long time and recently pulled it out to find that neither until is showing any power or life at all. this system was great for me for a long time and worked when I boxed it up and put it in a temp. controlled storage facility. I contacted Bose and the quoted a price that was high considering it could be just a fuse or something? I asked questions on other forums and I do not believe I would care to shove the system where they recommend nor many other colorful suggestions. I really do not think I will find help but I was looking for info. the service manual though I probable will not know what I am Looking at anyway. I find myself in Saint George Ut do Not ask me why. but they do not have an electronics store like frys or something and noone will work on this unit.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Lifestyle system connected to or paired with anything?

Paired?

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lifestyle?

I follow the connection guide as I done before where I set the speakers made all connections to the Acoustimas unit and the from the Acoustimas connected to the lifestyle five and after all done i plugged inf the lifestle with its wall adapter and the acoustimas with ints cord.

3/16/2018
Eldon
Eldon, Engineer

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 1992 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even before it sent into storage, this system was far past its service life. This system is now over 5 times what it was designed for and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; self repair is simply not an option. it is not just a simple fuse, and no other parts are available for these units. Local repair is not an option either, there is only one repair option in the entire country other than bose factory service, and in either case it would cost as much or more to fix as to buy a brand new and updated system with current features and a fresh warranty.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon

I read your reset instruction given to another member however I did not see a reset button would you pehaps know wher this button may be located?
thanks,
Robert
Thanks

There is no reset button, please follow the specific process above instead.

Eldon
Eldon, Engineer