Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Alexa got wet; she's dried out, lights up but won't respond.

Alexa got wet; she's...

Alexa got wet; she's dried out, lights up but won't respond. can you help?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Alexa echo

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Amazon

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Removing the black rubber top andn leaving it in the sun. when i reconnect there is a lot of stati and the blue halo goes on; but doesn't respond or wake up "hello".

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

It was a gift from my son and I can't seem to replace one that looks like it. I would not like him to know I messed up.

3/15/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Please tell me first, how long did you dry out the Alexa after it got wet, & was it On when it got wet?

Also, did it get wet with pure water, tap water, or with flavored water or some other fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alexa was on; the water came from the outside (condo grass water system) hose. it was not soaked, but did get wet. i tried taking the black rubber top off and leaving it in the sun forseveral hours to dry. several hours later i plugged alexa back in; thehalo came on for more than a few seconds but would not connect (Hello). However, it does make a lot of static. Presently it is sitting in a bag of rice. Yesterday,after adding rice I put it outside in full sun. (rice recommended by neighbor). I have not tried it today. If you can I would be grateful; I tried to replace this model and it is no longer available. Iknow I can get a newer model but this one was given to me by my son and is"special" to me. It's more than Alexa.Thank you for your help.

What exactly is the model you have, please?

You might want to know, that regardless of the model of Alexa service device, they all use the same, and connect to the same, Alexa service. So replacing it, seen that way, may not be so hard to do.

But with the exact model, I can tell whether there is a source for, perhaps, a used one of the same model available.

Drying it only a few hours was not enough. I think that you need to try drying it for two or three days before powering it up again. It *might* work then - but if it does not work then, you do have a broken device and it would have to be replaced, in all likelihood (unless servicing for it could be found somewhere.)

Russell H., Service Tech

Thank you for the five-star rating. An additional thought about the replacement of the device: if you connect the new device to the same Amazon.com, or using the same Amazon.com account login, that you used for the broken device, the Amazon account will associate the same 'memories' or configurations with the new device - most of the 'stuff' is the Alexa service, the device is a speaker with some wifi connection circuitry, mostly - a front end or 'dumb terminal' of sorts, but what it connects to is the important and detailed stuff.

Good luck with it. Let me know if you need further help.

Russell H., Service Tech