Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I support a school district that has the Cp-tw3005

I support a school...

I support a school district that has the Cp-tw3005 interactive projector that they connect with MacBook Air laptops. The installation just doesnyt Doesn't work reliably.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Air?

Let me check, hold on a second

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MacBook Air? What have you tried so far?

OS High Sierra 10.13.3 The problem has been going on for over a year. Te installing contractor has no more ideas on how to solve the provlem

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The problem is that the interactive pen randomly and intermittently loses contact with the computer, and the only way to fix the problem is to unplug and replug the USB cable. Tho does not happen in rooms where a PC is use, only rooms where Mac is used.

Answered in 1 day by:
3/16/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
It has been 2 days now. I am concerned about what service this is actually providing to me. I will wait to see how your expert finally responds to my problem, and determine whether this service is of any real benefit.
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Customer Service

Hi, I'm Benjamin. Welcome to our site. I'm reviewing your question now and I'll reply with more details ASAP.

Thank you. Look forward to seeing if you have some specific information about the Hitachi projector and it's compatibility with MAC OS. Also curious if those Hitachi projectors have ever had a firmware update by Hitachi that might address some MAC related issues.

My apologies for the long delay in getting an answer - please be aware that now that I have the question, replies to this will alert me and I will try to respond as quick as I can.

So my understanding is the computers that are hooked up to the projector are a mix of MacBook Air and Windows machines, right?

The ones with Windows work great, but the MacBook Airs have issues being reliable because they lose contact and you have to unplug and plug in USB to reset, correct?

Can you provide me with a model number, Service Tag (if Dell) or something to give me any information on the Windows computers and anything about the MacBook airs?

You are welcome. Off the cuff I'm wondering if it's either Mac OS issues vs Windows (just like you are thinking, driver would maybe help, good job!)

It could also be video issues if the Windows computers have a discrete graphics card and the Mac computers don't.

By the way, I'm guessing your question may not have been picked up b/c this is a tricky one, but I want to give this my best shot. There are a lot of variables in this, but narrowing down the Mac vs Windows thing helps.

Here's the iPro software link -

Do you have the ability to verify the version installed? I'd like to make sure you are running the latest version.

http://dmd.hitachi-america.us/products/consumer/digitalmedia/lcd_projectors/lineup/details/CP-TW3005.php

The classrooms all use the MacBook Air, The windows computer was only brought into 1 room, just to test if the issue was in the projector or in the MAC computer. The MacBook AIR they are using is the A1466, but I couldn't tell you anything more about the hardware. They are running High Sierra 10.13.3.
The problem occurs whether you are running the iPro software or not. We actually brought in a stripped down MacBook Air ith no other software, just to rule out software conflicts. It allows the projector pen to run as the computer mouse, even without any software being loaded. But the exhibits the same loss of connectivity issue.
Like I mentioned earlier, the symptom is that when the projector loses USB communication with the MacBook, it wont re-establish it unless you unplug and replug the USB cable. When the windows computer (running the latest version of windows 10) again running no other software) loses connection, it automatically restores connection without having to unplug/replug the USB cable.
Are you using the latest software from Hitachi on the Mac books?
They have the current Hitachi software as I recall.
Lol, you aren't making this easy! You are doing a great job narrowing down the problem.
You mentioned firmware, do you know if you have the latest version?Do you have multiple projectors all with same issue and multiple Mac books?If yes, that really sounds like some sort of Apple or Hitachi issue.Intermittent issues are tricky but if we have multiple data points that really is a help.
By firmware, I mean firmware on the projectors themselves.
You should know that we have had a year to try "everything we know of" and I suspect this is a really nasty little problem. I think you ask a good question, and I'll have to see how I can get that answer. It would be helpful if we could get what the actual firmware installed on that projector is, and see if that is the latest or not. That might take some time to run down.
Yeah it sounds annoying for sure! My wife used to be a teacher and she was so annoyed with tech problems getting in the way of teaching...now she is a software engineer like me, lol.No problem if it takes time, I get an email on my phone every time you reply.Another thought I had is to put usb mice on the macs to see if they have issues. That would be the opposite of projector connected to Windows.If the mice fail, the issue is with USB stack in macs most likely.Is suspect that they will work and it is some interaction with Mac and the unit or bad drivers from Hitachi.

Hi, this is Benjamin. I just wanted to check in with you. Do you still need help with your issue? If what I provided help you solve it, great! If not, can you please reply to my questions above so I may continue to help you?

far the issue isn't resolved and no additional input from your end has been received. If you have provided everything you can at this point then let me know, and I'll seek additional resources to try and move the solution, or at least positive identification of the actual problem along.
I apologize for the frustration. Since I am unable to be physically present, I must rely on you to provide me with information.

I was wondering if you had put usb mice on the macs to see if they have issues. That would be the opposite of projector connected to Windows. The purpose of this is to test the usb ports for the Macs.

I have researched and am unable to find anything online about that particular unit/drivers and mac issues. You may want to contact Hitachi tech support at this point.

• 800-HITACHI(###) ###-####

Mon - Fri
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST

They may have information on this issue that they don't wish to publish, but can help you with I would suggest requesting to speak with level 2 support since level 1 will likely walk you through a lot of steps you've already done.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please understand that I'm an independent expert and I am only paid for my time helping customers if I get a 4 or 5 star rating.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Customer Service