Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Kindle will not turn on. It is fully charged. Several…

My Kindle will not...

My Kindle will not turn on. It is fully charged

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Kindle?

Several times over the last 3 days.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the power button for a minute)?

Yes. Green light comes on and flashes a few times and then goes off.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks.

3/13/2018
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Did your Kindle run completely out of battery power and display an empty battery on the screen before this happened?

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not that I’m aware of. It was warning me it needed to be charged.

Thank you for that information. You indicated that it is fully charged. Do you see the battery icon displaying a full charge, or are you just assuming that it is charged because it was plugged in for quite some time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t see any thing. I assume it has to be on to see the battery display. It is only showing a book you see before you open the kindle.

Thank you. I asked because Kindle devices do not power off when the battery gets really low. They go into a hibernation state. Sometimes this prevents the Kindle from charging as it should. If that is the case we can troubleshoot it. But if it actually shows a full battery and it still won't power on and stay on, it is likely a hardware issue. What type of Kindle do you have? Is it a Kindle Fire or a Paperwhite or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Paper white

Thank you. Lets try this first....

Plug the device into the Kindle A/C adapter (not your computer). Please check to be sure the charging indicator is on. Sometimes a drained Kindle will stop charging a few seconds after you plug it in. if this happens, please unplug and replug until the light stays on steadily, then leave it alone and allow it to charge for several hours.

Please give this a try and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The green light is on indicating it’s fully charged. Should I keep it plugged in? I charged it over night so I would think it’s charged.

If the green light is on indicating that it is fully charged, this is more than likely a hardware issue. How long have you owned your Paerwhite? is ther any chance that it is still under warranty? If not, we'll try troubleshooting but if it is a hardware issue there will be little that we can do. It is genreally more cost effective to replace an older Kindle than to have it repaired.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s about 5 years old. I’m just going to buy a new one. Thanks for your help!

You're very welcome. Have a great evening!

GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech