Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a TEAC 2340 which I purchased new sometime in the…

Customer Question
I have a TEAC...

I have a TEAC 2340 which I purchased new sometime in the 1970's. It has sat unused for the last few years. Recently , I decided to dust it off and use it again. I cleaned the heads, capstan and guides with 99% alcohol. I used DIOXIT on all pots and switches, I oiled the three motors front and back with sewing machine oil. The deck runs, records and plays back beautifully EXCEPT for track 4. #4 records very weakly with little VU meter movement and a scratchy sound. Playback is the same. I've tried recording on track 1, flopped the reels and played back listening to both the playback head (Backwards) and the record head in simul-sinc. Both heads sound good so I know my problem is not either of those heads. Any thoughts? Frank Groth. <*****@******.***>

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

TEAC 2340

Technician's Assistant: What Teac product do you have?

2340 reel-to-reel

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Teac product?

Please read my submission

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
3/13/2018
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hi Frank,

If the heads are good then the problem is in the electronics - possibly a resistor is out of spec and it is throwing the voltage off.

Do you have the schematic diagram available?

Pete.

No, I don't have a schematic.