Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a panasonic KX-77731 analog. I want to go VOIP. Can I…

I have a panasonic...

I have a panasonic KX-77731 analog. I want to go VOIP. Can I just buy some sort of adapter?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your KX-77731? What have you tried so far?

We have had the panasonic for 9 years. In 2015 At&T just went fiber optic and now our phone system does not have all of it's capabilities.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

I know we have CAT 3 wiring and we will need to go to CAT 5 or 6. I am only talking about 6 phones.

3/13/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your phone question.

What you need, what you are asking for, is called a VoIP Adapter, otherwise known as an Analog Telephone Adapter or ATA. It converts a VoIP line signal to an analog signal, allowing you to use older / analog phones.

An example would be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-PAP2-NA-Telephone-Adapter-Unlocked/dp/B000AMLTSU

and if you wish you could browse this site too:

https://www.voipsupply.com/voip-adapters

- Is there anything more that you wish to know on this subject?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. So the adapter will turn my old analog Panasonic cat3, wiring to a digital VOip capability? Will I loose speed and degrate quality?

I suspect that you won't lose quality. As for speed - it depends upon how fast the internet service you have locally is, and whether you are downloading or viewing streaming video at the time, which might provide some scratchiness and/or a few drop-outs. But if you have Fiber Optic internet, that should be no problem at all, really, since Fiber's capacity is quite high!

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech