Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Loud screeching noise when adjusting sound level. tower

Loud screeching noise when...

Loud screeching noise when adjusting sound level. tower speakers rf-3 bought many years ago

Technician's Assistant: What is your speaker connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

Yamaha receiver, all things seem tight.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

I only use the speakers with CD player or radio from the receiver

3/11/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your audio equipment noise question.

That screeching noise is called 'feedback'. It means that - usually at higher volume levels - some sound produced by the audio system is being 'fed back' - feedback, thus - into a sound input. The most classic kind is where a microphone is too close to the speakers that amplified sound from it is being produced from.

Turn down volume, shield the mike, take the mike farther away from the speakers to isolate it - these are all the standard measures appropriate to this problem.

If it still persists... then you may have a hookup problem, or even internal feedback (which is a 'breakage' in the electronics requiring an electronics shop to fix it - never as simple as a loose wire or crossed wires, or at least almost never.)

Let me know what you think, in Reply, and I will advise you further as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Russell, There is no mike. So I am sure I have things hooked up correctly. soooooo

What model of Yamaha receiver, with what input, or with what Source selected - e.g. Phono, Input, Radio, CD, etc.?

Does switching the Source to a different one cure the problem? if so, the problem may be in the source, not the Yamaha receiver itself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's an old receiver yamaha rx550uIt does it on radio and cd. That's all that is hooked up.

OK. AM Radio or FM radio, please?

And is the CD player actually playing anything, or is it empty of a CD, no CD(s) in it?

Does it screech even on very low volume? If 'yes', is the screech just as loud that way?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The CD player could even be empty, all I have to do is touch the volume or loudness controls and screech!!!

Then yes, your Yamaha receiver is defective/'broken', in its electronics. Even an old volume control shouldn't produce more than a scratchy noise with time and age and wear and a little dirt - screeching from such a cause is quite unusual.

Do you need an address (or several) for a local Yamaha repair shop for this sort of receiver? if so, Reply please, with your zip code, and I will give you the best I can find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No address needed but thanks!

You're welcome, and would you be willing to rate my work on this case, either briefly in Reply, or using the five-star interface on the top of the JustAnswer question page? A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech