Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

The answering part of my new phone does not work. Answer on…

Customer Question
The answering part of...

The answering part of my new phone does not work. Answer on is pressed and the red light is on and I put a message in but it does not play and it takes no message.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Kxtgd300cb

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?

Just recently. the answering system has worked before this

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me what happens when someone tries to call you?

Does it just ring endlessly? Or are they prompted to leave a message, but none are there when you press play on the base station?

It rings a few times and then stops.
It has worked well in the past, but a friend just told me that she called several times and got a message saying that answering has not been activated. When I called from my cell phone, it just rang five or six times and then stopped.
But you didn’t get the same message? Perhaps about mail box not set up?
It worked before. Many messages have been left on this phone.
Is that it? This communication does not seem to be working.
I’m still waiting for a response to my earlier question to be able to help you.
Where are you, Nathan? What are you doing?
I’ve asked you, above, several times for specific details. I cannot help you if you do not reply back with that information.

Again: But you didn’t get the same message? Perhaps about mail box not set up?

I have no idea what is going on here. I am getting an undecipherable message on my cell phone. I have answered all of your questions. If you call(###) ###-####you can see for yourself what the answer sounds like. I will not answer so you can hear if there is a message.
Okay. How do I set up mailbox? Let's start with that.
what is happening is that you are
reaching a voicemail service provided by the phone company. It is answering before your home
answering machine has a chance to pick up the line, which is why you hear a different greeting,
and why you get no messages when checking your home answering machine.
The solution in that case is to contact the phone company and have them cancel/remove the
voicemail service from your account, OR as an alternative, you could just stop using the
answering machine and use the voicemail function instead. You can record your own greeting
on the voicemail if you like, and voicemail actually has several advantages: it is always on,
meaning it will work even if the power goes out, while the answering machine could stop taking
or playing messages if it is ever damaged or unplugged. VM will also work even if you're on
another call, with answering machine, the 2nd caller would just get a busy signal. For these
reasons, I tend to recommend voicemail over using your own machine, simply because it tends
to be more reliable and accessible. The choice is yours of course though.
what is happening is that you are