Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a coolpix p500. If in either auto or program mode, I…

I have a coolpix...

I have a coolpix p500. If in either auto or program mode, I choose "flower" for close-ups, the AF no longer works. So there is no way to focus close- up.

Technician's Assistant: What camera mode are you shooting in? Does your camera focus better in some modes than in others?

It focuses fine on AF but I have a choice of Af or flower--can't do both. I just attended a phot help session and the photographer looked at it and said it should still focus either way

Technician's Assistant: Is your camera's lens clear of any dirt, scratches, or smudges?

Yes, does that affect the close focus?

3/10/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your camera question.

The camera might indeed have a problem requiring servicing. But try, first, a factory reset of the camera.

That will erase White Balance and Custom settings, but not the pictures, and may be done this way:

Press the MENU button, and go to the Setup menu (usually a wrench or spanner icon is on it).

Scroll down that menu, all the way down, and the RESET ALL option can be selected there.

Confirm that selection... the camera should restart, and after 1/2 minute or so, be back to factory settings. See whether that helps.

Also, if that doesn't help you my try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight, or at least a few hours. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seems to be better. Thanks!

Good! Before you go, please rate my work and my answer - either verbally in Reply in brief, or using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer page cited below. A five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done on your question. Thank you! and have a great day.

https://www.justanswer.com/video-camera-repair/b2ufe-coolpix-p500-either-auto-program-mode.html

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech