Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have an Insignia TV Model number NS-42E480A13, version…

Customer Question
I have an Insignia...

I have an Insignia TV Model number NS-42E480A13, version r1.01_120818. My TV server is spectrium (time warner cable). It just changed to digital only. I got a kit and connected the cables. I cannot use the coax cable due to an old cable connection that is located on the exterior of the house. My problem is, I can turn on the TV and change the channels with my old remote but it says there is no signal. I cannot get the new remote that Spectrium gave me to communicate with the TV. Is there some kind of code that I need to use?

Technician's Assistant: Are there buttons on the side, bottom, or back of your NS-42E480A13?

No not that I can find

Technician's Assistant: What menu options can you access, if any?

Do you mean TV HDMI 1 2 or 3?

Technician's Assistant: The TV Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

No just how to get a picture so I can watch the tv

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Hello.....anybody there??
3/10/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Do you hav ea new spectrum cable box?

If so, where is it connected on the back of the tv?

it is in the HDMI 2

Okay you'll need to press the Input button on the insignia remote, and set the tv to the hdmi2 mode.

From there, you should get picture/sound from the spectrum box.

it still has "no signal" across the screen. The remote that came with the box doesn't work at all.

I would have no expectation of the spectrum remote working with the tv (to control tv power, volume, etc).

The spectrum remote however should still control the box,

make sure the box is turned on, and you should then be able to change channels with it.

If it still doesn't work, put in a new set of batteries, and failing that spectrum will need to replace the remote and box both to be safe.

Its a Brand new box. new remote new batteries. my insignia remote will turn the tv on and change the channels but all I get is a blue screen and no sound. spectrum said something about getting a code number for this tv in order to get the remote to communicate with the tv.

The remote control issue is separate,

the insignia remote should not be used for controlling channels at this point, that would only apply for an antenna or basic cable without a box

if you have a box, and it is connected via hdmi, then the tv must be set to hdmi, and the box remote used for channels.

well its not working. I give up.

If you are certain that it is connected to hdmi2, and that is where it is connected, then either you have a bad hdmi port on the tv, or your box is faulty. That type of box failure is extremely common, and even though it may seem new, it is not. Spectrum reuses those boxes over and over and and they have very high failure rates. I would still contact them and have them replace it as a next step, if you are certain that the connections are good.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.