Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have tried to record video from my Sony ccd-trv138 to vhs.

I have tried to...

I have tried to record video from my Sony ccd-trv138 to vhs. I can get audio but no video. Could my a/v cable be faulty, or could the connection to the camcorder be faulty. Do you have any thoughts on this? Dennis

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

This is an old tv/recorder. However I also tried this on my big 55 in Lg Smart Tv with the same result.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

I made sure my input was”line”on the tv/recorder before I started recording to VHS. I recorded over an old movie, so I know I was recording something. I played the vhs back and heard audio but the video was wavy, I saw some color but nothing clear.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of!

I purchased my lg smart tv at Christmas time in 2005. I connected my camcorder a/v cable to the a/v connection on the back of the tv. I tuned the tv to the a/v input. I started the camcorder in the play/edit mode. I heard audio from the tv and garbled video, so I believe the connection was correct. I was monitoring the video on the lcd screen of the camcorder during playback and the video was clear. I don’t understand why I could not see the same clear video on the tv. I followed the directions from the camcorder manual. From the trouble shooting section, I turned the “edit” feature “off” in the playback mode as recommended to minimize video distortion, but to no effect. What’s wrong?
The tape I was trying to record from was Sony video 8 MP120.
3/10/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your video recording/transfer question.

There are three possible causes:

1. a defective or cheaply made HDMI cable might readily lose either audio or video transmission capability.

2. a defective, dirty, or out-of-alignment VHS tape recorder apparatus could fail to record the video track, and

3. a defective, dirty, or out-of-alignment Video 8 tape player could fail to produce the video track though that is less likely.

So: A. check recording to VHS tape from other sources - if other sources can record video the problem is not in the VHS recorder part. B. check playback from Video 8, in case it is not playing back video. After which C. if no fault is found in A. nor B. then you might have a defective cable and it should be swapped, though this is not absolutely certain to cover all possible faults in such a complex system. Note that wavy video does sound as if the VHS tape part of the setup might need to have the heads cleaned - note: with a VHS VCR tape head cleaner kit, NOT with anything else, which can and does ruin the heads altogether - they are quite finely made and very delicate.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell: When I play back video 8 tape on camcorder, I can see video clearly on lcd monitor. So Doesn’t that mean that the camcorder heads are not dirty and therefore don’t need to be cleaned? I have connected the camcorder directly to the tv thru the camcorder a/cable which has a yellow, red, and white pin ends to the tv with the same color coded female ends.I don’t see a clear image on the tv. So doesn’ that mean that there is something wrong with the a/v cable? I have ordered a new one and I should receive it today. Also, if I see a clear video on my lcd monitor, doesn’t that mean that I would also not be able to record on VHS if a/v cable is bad? Dennis

Good thinking: the heads on the Video 8 camcorder are OK, obviously. But what I was thinking was along the lines, that if the Video 8 camcorder heads aren't dirty nor defective, then the VCR heads may need cleaning (which is done with a cleaning cassette, never by hand, owing to their delicate and very fine manufacturing standards.)

The cable *might* be defective, yes, given what you've just said.

Russell: just to let you know,I accidently fixed the problem. The A/V cable that came w/the camcorder had 3 leads: Yellow for video and white and red for stereo audio. My Model camcorder, ccd-Trv138 has only a single channel of audio, so the correct cable should have been with only 2 leads, yellow and white. But the cable that is supplied is supposed to work on both the trv280 w/ stereo sound as well as my model w/monaural sound. Anyway when I connect the cable to the TV, I connect yellow on my A/V cable to the corresponding yellow pigtail coming from the TV. I do the same for the white, but for the red; if I take the pin end from my A/V cable and instead of inserting it into the female end of the pigtail lead from the TV, I instead touch it to the outer metal sleeve ( Is this a ground connection?) the video becomes clear. Now my TV is set to 16:9 aspect ratio. If I change it to 4:3, the video becomes clearer. If I could reduce the screen size more, the video would be clearer still. The best video is what I see on the camcorder LCD. So the root of the problem was the A/V cable. I had the wrong one!.

OK, good! The outer metal sleeve, when a cable of that type is connected at both ends, is indeed supposed to be grounded, or to be a 'signal ground' (not necessarily quite the same thing.)

I'm glad to hear that it is fixed indeed. Or will be shortly, once you have the right cable.

If you're done with the case, please rate my work and my answer, using the five-star rating interface at the top of the JustAnswer page (cited below if needed.) A five-star rating best expresses appreciation of my work on your question.

( https://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/b2t49-tried-record-video-sony-ccd-trv138-vhs.html

is the page to rate at the top of.)

Russell H., Service Tech