Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I just purchased a smart TV from Sony and I have a VIZIO…

Hi. I just...

Hi. I just purchased a smart TV from Sony and I have a VIZIO sound bar. I have everything working, but I can't pair the subwoofer with the sound bar. It just doesn't seem to connect. I reset the sound bar to the factory settings and have tried numerous times, but it doesn't pair. I followed the directions in the manual on page 18 of the instruction booklet. Suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: What Vizio model do you have?

SB3821-C6

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Vizio system?

I have the sound bar connected to the TV using the digital optical cable. I have set up the WI-FI connection.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Do you have any additional questions ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have enabled the remote for the sound bar.When I tried to pair the sub woofer with the sound bar..I put the sub woofer on a table directly in front of the sound bar. I turned on the power switch of the subwoofer, held down the pairing button, the red light flashed. Then I pressed the power button the on sound bar and held it for 5 seconds. The LED lights flashed, I think if they flashed 3xs. Does it matter the orientation of the subwoofer--should the back face the sound bar or the front of the subwoofer? In the photo it looks as if the back of the subwoofer faces the sound bar and that's how I have it oriented.
3/8/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The orientation of the soundbar certainly is of little importance. But some basics of Bluetooth are worth mention:

1. range is at least the size of a medium-large room, pretty much.

2. pairing 'direction' can matter - some Bluetooth connections only work in one direction. If you have been pairing from one device, try pairing from the other device instead - if that can be done.

3. The first step to a Bluetooth pairing is to configure both devices and make them ready

4. the second step is, to scan from one device for the other, and then Pair them....

5. when they are Paired, the third step is to Connect... Pair before Connecting, you see.

- How old is the soundbar? and how old is the subwoofer? and what are their makers and models?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The sound bar and subwoofer are VIZIO, model SB3821-C6 and they are about a year or two old. They have never been used because we had another sound system connected to our TV. The old sound system died so now I'm trying to get the VIZIO to work.1. I had the subwoofer on a table approx. 18" or less from the sound bar. They were at the same height. The back of the Sub woofer was facing the Sound Bar which is how it's pictured in the Quick Start Guide.
2. I followed the sequence in the Quick Start Guide on page 18 which says the Subwoofer may need to be relinked with the Sound Bar. So actually I am relinking.
3. From the directions, BlueTooth is not involved...(I connected my iPad to the sound bar using Blue Tooth, but again there was no sound coming from the Subwoofer.)

That sounds more like a 'subwoofer is dead' sort of problem.

Does the sound bar work otherwise, with other speakers, etc.?

And how is the sound bar connected to the subwoofer speaker, if not by Bluetooth, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At this time, I prefer not to try to talk this through on the phone. I'm frazzled, so it limits my thinking.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Whenever you have time, I will continue to help you, and when that time arrives, I need to ask for these details:

- Does the sound bar work otherwise? with other speakers, etc.?

- And how is the sound bar connected to the subwoofer speaker, if not by Bluetooth, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russel, I think you nailed it...the subwoofer is dead! Thanks for your advice.

OK... then do you need any further help? recommendations for a nearby or appropriate servicing/repairing company or shop to take the subwoofer to for repair, perhaps? if so, please Reply with your local zip code or town/city and state.

Otherwise, if you're done with the case, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of my work on this case.

(I have enabled the five-star rating interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page. You may rate now...)

Russell H., Service Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russell,
I never received a phone call from you or anyone else. Would you please remove the $26 charge from my account? I don't think that I owe you for this service.

There should be no charge for the phone call.

As a JustAnswer Expert, I have no power over specific aspects of the charges or the billing, and no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Russell H., Service Tech