Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a pair of Polk audio monitor 10’s I bought new in…

I have a pair...

I have a pair of Polk audio monitor 10’s I bought new in 1979. One of them does not want to put out any thing more than very low volume sound no matter if the volume is turned up. What could be the problem? FYI the fuse is fine.

Technician's Assistant: What is your Polk Audio connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

Cables were tight. Just a low end receiver

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

No. The other speaker works just fine

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2018
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer; an independent site with members providing product information, repair tips and technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.
My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Polk audio monitor..."
I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Polk audio monitor..."

Still, it would appear to be an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Polk audio studio monitor 10 A. I have a friend that is familiar with the meter and has a soldering iron

Great on the DIY!
When able, please post back with clear pictures of the inside electronics of these monitors. Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Of course, it has been confirmed to be a speaker/monitor issue and not the receiver's?

Not the receiver. The other speaker works fine. My friend has not opened the speaker yet, I think, and I am unable to send you pictures. I think it may be the crossover

I am inclined to agree (pending the pictures and tests).

And if it were, then upgrade may be more to your advantage rather than just repairs.

That would mean upgrading the working speaker as well? Sounds like too much work

If only to repair, then we can simply start with resoldering the crossover board and checking for an open component or has gone high value.

The circuit involves passive components and can be tested with an ohmmeter (and preferably with a capacitance meter).

Sounds good and thank you. END

Great!

Glad that the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating (3 to 5 stars) at the top of your page (scroll all the way up)

Louie, Technician