Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

What we are hearing on the headset does not match the

What we are hearing...

What we are hearing on the headset does not match the channel on the TV. Also, there is a lot of static with the sound through the headphone.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Samsung BD P1590 or BDP1590C or BD P1600. About 10 years old.

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Menu works. And yes, now just static on both headphones used with just one TV.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Samsung? What happened right before this?

I do not know this. Headphones are used by an elderly person who also cannot see well, so this problem may have started a week or so ago, but I discovered it two days ago.

3/1/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your headphones and TV channel question.

I need to ask a few questions:

1. how old is the Samsung TV in question, please?

2. is what is heard on the headphones, consistent with a TV channel, some TV channel, even if not the same channel that is tuned in? or does it sound more like radio, Citizen's Band car-to-car radio, or something else other than TV programming sounds?

I am wondering whether the headphones are properly connected to the TV. As opposed to connected to some other device than the TV, e.g. a radio or an iPod etc.

Checking on whether the connection is rightly to the TV would be a good first step to take.

If the sound does not sound like any TV channel, that will probably solve it. But, if the sound in the headphones as they are, sounds like a TV channel, just a different TV channel, then you might be connected to a TiVO or other TV recorder perhaps? and if not that - I doubt it, really, but it should be mentioned for completeness - if actually connected to the TV, your TV should be checked as to whether, without the headphones, it is producing sound consistent with the channel. If it is not producing sound proper to the channel, and especially if it is staticky sounding, even without the headphones, then your TV's tuner circuitry is at fault, and it needs to be service-repaired for a signal tuning fault in the audio tuner section of the TV's circuitry.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Russell: Thank you for your assistance. I solved my problem by purchasing a new set of headphones, so I no longer need your services. Jeff

I'm glad to hear that the problem was solved. If you are done with this case, please rate my work and my answer and my efforts to help, using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer page. A five-star rating best expresses appreciation of my work. Thank you! and have a good evening!

(-The page to rate on is here:

https://www.justanswer.com/home-theater-stereo/b1ysq-hearing-headset-does-not-match.html )

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech