Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a concord system that was installed in year 2000. It…

I have a concord...

I have a concord system that was installed in year 2000. It has started to beep in weird intervals and displays a message that the battery is low in the dining room motion sensor. I don't see where there is a battery to replace.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your safe or home security system?

ITI system. Concord is the brand name model 60-746

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your home security system?

I keep putting in what I thought was my four digit code and then hit the * button and it stops for about 12 hrs or so.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Security Expert to know before I connect you?

Looking at my manual it doesn't mention anywhere about a "battery". Is there a battery in the motion detector? I don't want to tear it off the wall if I don't need to

2/17/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your alarm system error question.

Depending upon the alarm system's type of sensor, in the dining room, there may be various ways of addressing this problem. But primarily it goes like this:

1. find the dining room motion sensor.

2. open it up - remove the cover on that sensor.

3. or tell me what make/model # the sensor is, and I will instruct you more specifically.

4. take out the battery in it, determine what type it is - probably a 9 V rectangular battery, but it might be another type - and replace that battery in it.

5. then when that's done, wait a bit - does the battery low error go away on the Concord main box? or if it continues then you need to reset the Concord main box error, probably by entering the code for the alarm system on its keypad. And perhaps by another operation - if this error continues after replacing the battery in the dining room motion sensor with a new battery of the same type or better quality, then tell me the alarm system box's model #, and I will instruct you as to clearing that error on it.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

I took the face off and there was a thin piece of plastic that I removed but I did not see a battery. Where would the battery be located?

Tell me what make/model # the sensor is, and I will instruct you more specifically.

The detector is a Detection Systems Inc. and there is a number DS9241on the inside
The alarm system is Concord by ITI 60-746

Thanks for the info and the response.

The battery can be reached from the back of the unit. Un-mount it from the wall - generally done by pulling it upward, then it comes free of the mounting - and you should see either the battery - an AA or AAA type perhaps - or the battery hatch.

This video might help, if it has a mounting screw that keeps it from being lifted upward and off: you have to remove a mounting screw first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqEILnnC420

I found the battery after watching the u-tube video , thanks. Now I just have to find a replacement battery. This battery is an odd size. Hardware store did not have a match. i'm going to try Radio Shak or battery warehouse. So we'll see if that does the trick, I'll let you know. Thanks so far!

Good so far, yes. Tell me the markings on the battery, esp. near the end(s), and I will tell you where you could get one or order one online, if you like.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, we had some computer issues so I couldn't log on to answer. Everything worked out. Your U-Tube recommendation for the battery was perfect. Great job!! No more beeping from he alarm. Excellent advice!

I'm glad to hear that it worked out OK! please rate my answer and my work - using the five-star rating interface on the JustAnswer question page (at the top) - URL for that page cited below in case you need it.

A five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I did and my answer. Thank you! and have a great day.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-security-systems/b0uc1-concord-system-installed-year-2000.html

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech