Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

My neighbor gave me a sony hdtv model #kdf-60wf655. Lately…

My neighbor gave me...

My neighbor gave me a sony hdtv model #kdf-60wf655. Lately it shuts off for a short while, then comes back on. The green light blinks constantly during this time. When i try to turn it back on myself, the red light starts blinking 5 times , hesitates, then blinks 5 times over and over.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your #KDF-60WF655?

2005

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Well, it's to the point where it will shut off before I can do anything.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your #KDF-60WF655? What happened right before this?

Well we did have a short power outage recently. I don't remember any problems before that.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. I did have it connected to a surge protector initially. When I started troubleshooting, I found that I could try plugging it into the wall to see if it helped but it didn't.

1/23/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The green light blinking and then the red light coming on for a 5 blink pattern simply means the Lamp in the set needs to be replaced. 5 blinks indicates the ballast is unable to spark the lamp, and this is normal for a Sony DLP that needs a new lamp. Have you replaced the lamp in the set yet?

If you've not replaced the lamp recently, or if lower priced lamps have been used, then it's common and normal for this to occur. The solution is to replace the lamp using the correct Sony OEM lamp which can be purchased at the link below for your set:

http://purelandsupply.com/sony-projector-lamp_kdf-60wf655.html

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I haven't. I wasn't sure what was wrong yet. Thank you. I will replace it as soon as I can.

Instructions for replacing the lamp are on page 16 of the owner's manual at the link below:

https://docs.sony.com/release/kdf42we655.pdf

You're welcome and replacing the lamp will fix the issue as it's directly related to the 5 blink code. Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Again!

You're welcome!

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician