Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

We got a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 the end of December, and all…

We got a Panasonic...

We got a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 the end of December, and all seemed well until the last couple of weeks. First we got a couple of double images, then yesterday, the zoom dial didn't do anything when the camera was turned on. Had to turn it off and on again to get it to work. Happened more than once. Also, got an overexposed picture, that was just fine on a second shot without changing any settings.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your Lumix?

Just bough it from K&H and it came to our house on 12/22/17 with a bundle package of case, memory card, etc.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lumix?

We've tried the P, A, M settings, burst shots, telephoto shots, flash shots and both HD and 4K videos.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

Well, mostly it's been taking great shots and video, but yesterday was when I noticed the issue with the zoom dial not wanting to work, the overexposed issue and the double image that had shown up earlier this month.

1/22/2018
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.
Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on.
Tell me please if it now starts
Thank you

The camera is at home with my wife, but I'll tell her to do what you mentioned, then to try it out. I'll get back to you as soon as she completes the steps.

Thank you

OK. My wife did the sequence that you mentioned, and said that when she turned on the camera, that the lens zoom was working fine. I told her to try taking photos with the 25mm setting and a bit of zoom to see if any turned out with the double image problem or severe overexposure problem with no changes to the settings (using "P") on the main dial. I'll let you know if we are getting these problems.

Thanks

I will mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I need to keep this open until we can verify if the problems are cleared up now or they are still occurring. We should have answers on the double image and overexposure image problems by tomorrow. Will this still be covered by my original fee?

yes it will be covered by the original fee, the question will always remain open for you

My wife just told me that the Zoom was working fine, but that she was still getting the double-image effect, but hadn't gotten the severe overexposure that I got yesterday. I really need to try it out myself on some other settings to see what I get, so that will be later when I get back home from work. Another thing that we noticed is that when the shutter operates, it now has kind of a double sound as if it's maybe doing a 1-second exposure or something, instead of a quick click sound. We just need to get to the bottom of this as the camera was quite expensive, and we don't know if we need to send it back for a factory inspection.
Can I wait to rate your service until I get more results from the camera?

Ok, try replacing the memory card in the camera and let me know how it functions with that please

I'll try that also. I bought the really fast 32GB card for 4K video to complement the slightly slower 64GB card that came with the camera. I'll see if that makes difference, and should have more inputs for you tomorrow. I can tell my wife to try it with the 64GB card to see if anything changes.
OK. She changed the 32GB card with the 64GB card, and said that a picture of a leaf still shows two edges on the leaf instead of a clearly single edge of the leaf...in other words, a double-image slightly offset. Sounds like a lens misalignment of some kind. I told her to try different zooms, but I'll have to look at it myself when I get home.

Does sound like a Lens issue or the firmware

Can you try a different lens and tell me how that looks please

Hi Richard. When I got home last night, I reviewed the photos that my wife took, and saved the ones that had multiple images. Some, however, did not show any problems. I don't know if she took them on the "A" or "P" settings (I think both), but I also found the image stabilization switch in the "OFF" position. So I just set the camera for "iA+" to allow it to automatically do everything (kind of like a point-and-shoot). I got no problems in any of the photos with 50mm, 100mm, 200mm, 300mm and 400mm zoom and flash shots when I magnified them to 16X. So maybe it was a motion issue.
I have those multiple image photos here with me if you'd like to have a look at them. I see that there is a place here to add files. As for trying a different lens, the Panasonic DMC FZ-1000 is a bridge camera with a fixed 25mm-400mm zoom lens, so it doesn't have the ability to interchange lenses like the dSLR's do.

If stabilization was off, this very much points to it. Unless it is on a tripod it should really be on.

I agree; especially since I saw that she took the ones that turned out with multiple images using a zoom setting of some kind. I also made a few more adjustments to the camera settings, and one was to limit the ISO to 1600. In reviews of this camera, I saw that even though it is capable of going to ISO 12,800, images above ISO 1600 start to degrade rapidly.

yes, any motion will hurt the quality.

Glad we got to the bottom of it and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks Richard! I will let you have a look at the photos that came out with multiple images that my wife took, but as I said, I did not have the problem with the photos that I took last night. I have attached six of them here. If you think that these show an issue with a mechanical problem with the lenses, then I'll need to see about getting the camera looked at. Otherwise, I'll see if everything is OK later when I try out more photos. If you don't think that the photos indicate a lens problem, then I'll just keep an eye on my photos, and close out to rate your service. Very pleased with your help!!
Image01.JPGImage01.JPGImage02.JPGImage02.JPGImage03.JPGImage03.JPGImage04.JPGImage04.JPGImage05.JPGImage05.JPGImage06.JPGImage06.JPG

They point very much to motion, they are digitally blurred from not having the stabilizer on.

With the older cameras, you get more blurring but these ones have a lot of algorithms running to correct the blur which is why it is less apparent.

Keep an eye on it but it does very much point to blurring

Richard, Customer Service
Thanks again Richard! We did spend a lot on the camera, so I certainly hope that there aren't any mechanical issues with the lenses. I think that there are something like 16 different elements in there!! I'll do your review, and I'll keep an eye out on the photos going forward.
Richard, Customer Service