Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

We bought a Panasonic KX-TG175C SK Bluetooth cordless phone…

hello! We bought a Panasonic...
hello! We bought a Panasonic KX-TG175C SK Bluetooth cordless phone for my mother, to connect with her Bluetooth hearing aides. We followed the instructions for connecting her hearing aides to the base and the handset with no luck. we have since learned that her hearing aides are a 2.1 version of Bluetooth and the phone maybe a newer version of Blue tooth. what can we do? Sincerely Dianne
1/20/2018
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Hello Diane,

the short answer is that this probably is not going to work as you intend.

The hearing aids have to be "HSP" capable, which they may or not be.

The bigger issue though is that the bluetooth function is for the base only, not the handset. This means that she would need to be near the base (recommended within a few feet, max of 10) so she's really limited to use within just one room.

Depending on the hearing aids she has, the best option would be to buy a transmitter unit for them, such as a "compilot" which could plug into one of the cordless handsets with a small wire and be worn on a belt/neck loop, communicating with her hearing aids, and giving her freedom to roam further.

A wired headset to the cordless handset could be used as well. Let me know if you'd like more info on any of these options.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I will check to see if her hearing aides has HSP capability but I'm thinking not. She is in nursing home and unable to move but when she is in her room she is less than 10 feet from her phone. We did get a transmitter that goes around the neck but it takes an auxiliary cord and the other end of the cord does not fit into the handset. Can a person get a cord with the different ends?

Thanks for the info,

if you have the hearing aid transmitter unit, then you could use that with one of these cords: http://amzn.to/2DSeHP6 linked to the cordless handset.

Alternately you could get her a corded headset: http://amzn.to/2DlHoD4

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will look into that. Thank you for your time Nathan.

You're very welcome!

Of these options, I'd probably go with the wired headset, it will actually be the simplest for her to use, won't have to worry about multiple devices (transmitter+handset), paring or battery issues, etc. Also if her aids are not specifically the hsp capable type, then they won't have a microphone in them so having a 2 way conversation over bluetooth would be impossible anyway.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Nathan, Engineer