Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Yamaha rx-v679 receiver and I'm trying to reset it…

Customer Question
I have a Yamaha...

I have a Yamaha rx-v679 receiver and I'm trying to reset it back to factory specs .

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your RX-V679? What have you tried so far?

It has been a one month I have a Samsung smart tv a samung 4k player and dish and the dvd player wants to take control

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Help please

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/14/2018
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 month ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Can you please elaborate on "the dvd player wants to take control"? Please provide as much detail as possible and I can try to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have every on and turn the dvd player on and when it shuts off the tv go blank . if I turn every thing on can you remotely get into it and fix things ?

No I can't remotely fix things, that's not possible with a receiver. I'm still unsure what the problem is you're having so I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you reset the Yamaha receiver
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To factory settings as if I just bought it and hooked it up
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 1 month ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Different expert here. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. Looks like Aric had to step away.

To reset your receiver to its factory condition, you need to go into the advanced setup menu. To do that, follow >>these steps<<. Once you're in there, select INIT. There are 3 INIT options... VIDEO, ALL, and CANCEL. Select ALL.

You should also update the firmware on your receiver. There is a new version from Oct '17. Would you like information on that?

OK, no problem!

First, you'll need the update file which I've uploaded >>here<<. Save that folder to your computer, and then copy it to a USB thumb drive that has been formatted (completely blank).

Then, insert the USB drive into the unit's USB port and then access the same advanced menu I told you about earlier. This time, instead of selecting INIT you're going to select UPDATE. That will trigger the receiver to retrieve the file from the USB drive, extract, and install them!

I really hope that answers your question! Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Just checking to see if you still have questions, or if my answers were thorough enough.