Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I am in an old stone building at work and the radio often…

I am in an...

I am in an old stone building at work and the radio often has static, is there any thing I can do?

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

This is an older radio, realistic MTA-B

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?

Nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Should I clean the speaker fabric?

1/11/2018
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Cleaning the speaker fabric will not do anything about static noise in the sound produced by your radio.

Static in a radio is not acoustic, but electronic (or, radio frequency) noise. So eliminating electronic or radio noise is vital to eliminating static.

One way is, to increase the strength of your received signal. If the radio does not have an external antenna, you may need one, to strengthen the radio signal so that it drowns out the noise component that is the static.

Another way is, to put the external antenna, attached to the radio, elsewhere than where the radio is - or even, just outside a window. This may eliminate a local source of radio frequency noise.

If the static comes in 'waves', rather than just occasional bursts, or as a continuous sound, that may be differently produced. Waves of static can be caused by occasional operation of equipment in the immediate vicinity, that produce radio frequency noise. Continuous static, if not produced by not tuning the radio in to the station quite accurately, may be being produced internally to your radio, if it is an older radio.

Try an external antenna first, though, locating it at a distance from the radio rather than immediately adjacent to the radio. That should help considerably.

Let me know if you need further guidance on this matter. And if my answer is good, please rate my answer five stars! Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you I thought this cost $5.00 , I will try your advice. I object that the full price was not clearly stated. I thought $5,00 for my question was fine, Thank you

As a JustAnswer Expert, I regret to have to say that I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information, etc.

For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

or

http://ww2.justanswer.com/phone

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Russell H., Service Tech
Russell H., Service Tech