Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I purchased a royal scriptor electric typewriter, and I just…

Customer Question
Hi, I purchased a...

Hi, I purchased a royal scriptor electric typewriter, and I just do not know what I am doing wrong. I typed years ago for my office job, but I just can not get the margins to release or set, etc. Please advise!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

An electric Royal Scriptor 691477

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Just to type normally, but the tabs won't set, and it throws my left margin into the middle

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

It also keeps jumping off the roller

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
I don't understand thr code button the keyboard, either
1/9/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Do you have a manual for this typewriter, please?

No

When you say you don't understand the code button - can you tell which button is the Code button, please?

Is the typewriter Used, or New? (A Used typewriter might have the legends on the keys worn off by usage, you see, so I have to ask about this.)

I would like to resume our conversation. My Royal Scriptor ll will not return to the left margin whenever I push the return button. It goes to the middle and seems to lock. The margin release button will not unlock either.

There may be some object jammed in the works, or a loose part. Open the typewriter and examine the interior, for objects or loose parts, roughly where the carriage stops.

It's a new typewriter. I just purchased it. There's a key on the bottom right that ays code??

I think that it's a defective typewriter, then. I advise packing it up and returning it, for an exchange for another, fully working, typewriter. That is your right as a consumer, where defective products are concerned. (Also, that it lacks a manual or instruction guide, is not ideal.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.