Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I bought a Panasonic landline with three handsets and every…

Customer Question
Hi I bought a...

Hi I bought a Panasonic landline with three handsets and every time I make a phone call, it cuts out in mid conversation.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your phone system?

Sorry, just looking for the info

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your phone system? What have you tried so far?

It's model no KX-TGC220AL

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?

Well, it's my mum's phone that I bought for her when she had NBN connected. She's complained about it for a while ( I bought it in August) but we haven't done anything.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/8/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?

test
Hi Nathan,My mum only uses one of the handsets for long conversations so she can't really say if it happens with all the handsets. We had to bundle the landline in with the internet when she connected to NBN. So I bought a new phone for her 3 handsets. We haven't done anything so far.

Thank you for the info,

does she have any other phone there, like a regular corded or wall phone?

No, just the three handsets that were included in the phone. One problem with NBN was that the base unit and handset had to be placed in the front room and the unit my mum uses is plugged in the back room which is the living area.

that is fine, they are cordless so the location of the cordless handsets can be anywhere in the home.

The issue you are experiencing though would indicate a problem with the NBN line moreso than the panasonic, though you'd actually need to test another phone to confirm that diagnosis.

In the meantime, please unplug power to the nbn modem for at least 5 minutes,

then replug and try a test call to see how it works at that point and let me know the results.

Thanks,

I think NBN is the problem - I sleep in the front room and don't like the idea of wifi on in the room so I turn off the modem every night and then turn it back on in the morning. Would unplugging it be better or is turning it off at the modem enough?

Well turning it off at all is affecting the phone connection.

Wifi won't hurt you, it is a very low energy frequency, not much different than the cordless phones themselves.

You want to actually unplug to reboot, but the daily turning off/on could be damaging the modem and resulting in this problem

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.