Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a 500-400A Tower which reboots by itself randomly for…

Customer Question
I have a 500-400A...

I have a 500-400A Tower which reboots by itself randomly for no reason. It is around 3 years old. A tech savvy mate of mine says it is probably the power supply. Any comments?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your 500-400A?

Like my text says, 3 years.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

It only fails usually during the morning, After rebooting, it is usually stable.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No thankyou.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/7/2018
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Yes, it is likely faulty capacitors on the power supply that are stabilising after the computer runs for a while and becomes warmer.

However eventually the power supply unit will fail.

It should be replaced before it fails completely.

You can replace it with any equivalent 300W ATX power supply unit, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Replacement-Computer-Supply-ATXPOWER300/dp/B00006B8CH/

If you are unable to fit a replacement power supply unit yourself, a local computer repair shop can fit it for you.

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------