Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have one Denon air-s900w receiver and suddenly I do not…

Customer Question
Hello I have one...

Hello I have one Denon air-s900w receiver and suddenly I do not have any more sound.

Technician's Assistant: What is your Denon connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

I check everything, the input also, I tried on the dvd, tv, no sound. what to check.

Technician's Assistant: The Home Theater Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

Yes I did, and no sound, is there any other adjustments to check or fuse inside the receiver to replace?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I think I checked everything

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/6/2018
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 1 month ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Denon AVR-S900W..."

Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

Have you tried unplugging from the mains for an extended period of time?

...tried a pair of headphones?

...a RESET?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Louie
The receiver is paired with Bose Acoustimass 16 system.
I have two of those so tried both without results.
I can't try headphones as the plug is too big
I didn't make any RESET yet. How to?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Louie, I already paid for 36€ through Paypal this morning

Trying with the headphones would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test.

Consider a RESET. A reset is also both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click / tap HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have made a RESET several times without results.
I try to find a headphones plug adaptor ...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I come back to you then.

Yes please and an update when conveniently able.

Bear with me for possible delays; now mobile with sluggish Internet connection if at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lucie, OK I have tried the headphones also, no sound!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Louie...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi John,Just sent a payment of 36€ through Paypal to get an answer for my Denon AVR-s900w issue.
I am living overseas so we''ll fix the issue by email.I checked everything, CD, DVD, TV source, no sound.Can you come back to me for the answer please?Regards,Francis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have connected my Mac Book Pro with Bluetooth, no sound even with headphones.
I thought it was coming from the optical cable connecting the Tv to the receiver, I changed it, no sound.
Is there any issue with receiver itself (fuse or anything.
Just note that I am living overseas in French Polynesia.

If "...have made a RESET several times without results..." and as posted above, then it would point to an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiarity with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have connected my IPhone through the USB plug in front of the receiver.
No sound even with the headphones.
I do not have the choice but considering a DIY repair.
I have a technician able to do it, used to the multi-meter and soldering.
Would you please send me full informations how to repair this issue?

I understand.

Let's step back and review other external tests:

• try-test in AM or FM mode;
  • press PURE to select / est-try "Direct mode";
  • and then try in "Pure Direct Mode";
  • and then try "Auto"

Verify if also no sound from the SUBWOOFER PRE OUT.

Still...Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the internal circuit boards. Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried in AM/FM mode, Pure Direct and Pure Direct the Auto modes... no sound
When touching the external Subwoofer plug with the Subwoofer cable, I hear a loud sound but that's all.
What internal pictures do you need?
Bear with on delays. Mobile/field work with sluggish Internet if at all.
...pictures of the internal circuitry / boardy so as to be able to point out test points.
TNX
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here are the internal pictures asked
IMG_2255.JPGIMG_2255.JPGIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2256.JPGIMG_2257.JPGIMG_2257.JPGIMG_2258.JPGIMG_2258.JPGIMG_2259.JPGIMG_2259.JPG
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
more
IMG_2261.JPGIMG_2261.JPGIMG_2262.JPGIMG_2262.JPGIMG_2263.JPGIMG_2263.JPGIMG_2264.JPGIMG_2264.JPGIMG_2265.JPGIMG_2265.JPG

For the do not have any more sound issue, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) would be to ensure that the speaker relays are engaging. These are RLY4001 to 4004 at the main board. Verify presence and consistency of +8V supply and the drives for each channel-relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you see and can you show the RLY4001 to 4004 on the pictures sent?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I''ll drop the receiver to a technician tomorrow.
In case we find less than 8 volts on the RLY 4000 to 4004, what is the solution, what to do, what components do we need to replace or adjust?

Perhaps bigger / clearer pictures so as to "...see...show the RLY4001 to 4004 on the pictures ..."

On:

• In case we find less than 8 volts on the RLY 4000 to 4004, what is the solution - check source of the +8V pins 6 & 7 of connector CP4002;
  • what to do - test fuse/s F5008 / F 5003;
  • additionally, check voltages of:
  • - pin 7 of connector CP4003;
  • - pins 8 to 12; and
  • - pin 13.
  • what components do we need to replace or adjust? - would largely depend of which on the presence/absence of the voltages.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Louie,I dropped the receiver to a repair store but didn't get a feedback yet.
I should have it tomorrow.

I understand.

And good luck with the repairs.

Louie, Technician