Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have a Panasonic PT AE 8000U. Had a replace lamp message…

Customer Question
Hi I have...

Hi I have a Panasonic PT AE 8000U. Had a replace lamp message and ordered a new lamp. I did my best to change it., but now it will not turn on.

Technician's Assistant: What device is not powering up?

PTAE 8000U

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your 8000U?

About 2 years

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

I installed and reinstalled the lamp several times. I had difficulty removing the cover of the lamp, but the lamp slid into place and I screwed it down and replaced the coner. Unfortunately the cover screw appears to have broken off.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Is there something I can try?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/5/2018
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 7 months ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help. It looks like you've gone over some basic information with our automated system, so I just have a couple questions to make sure I know what's going on.

There is a safety switch built into the unit that won't let you power on, unless the lamp cover is secured properly. If something on the lamp cover broke, that's switch is probably what's causing this issue.

Take a look at your lamp door and let me know what you think.

the lamp door is on but is held down by a different screw. part of the screw remains in the hole so I used a shorter screw.

And what happens when you try to turn it on? Look at the lights (power, temp, lamp) and let me know what they do...

The lights for lamp and on flick on for less than a second and then go dark.

None of the lights blink?

No just red and then off.

This has to be the lamp door, or an incorrectly installed lamp. Suggest triple checking the lamp installation and replacing the door. The part number for the door is TXFKP02THHZ. You would need to call Panasonic to order it.

Could the broken screw cause the problem? I have no way of removing it.
If the broken screw causes the problem, a new door and screw could be a problem because the screw could not be screwed all the way down.

The screw broke inside the unit, or in the door?

broken in the unit

Then yes, that will cause a problem. It needs to come out. Is there a local handyman you can use to have it removed? Any locksmith, metal fabricator, etc. could also remove it.

I guess I should just send the unit to repair. Don’t really have anyone to do it. I would then need a new screw of full length. Would I have to order a full door to get it?

I don't think Panasonic will repair this for you. It's a pretty non-standard issue, so you'd be better off with a local repair shop. It would be cheaper, too. As for the screw, yes you can order it alone... >>click here<<.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Does the screw itself make the contact that lets the protector turn on?
Also I was going to send it to square trade where I have a warranty. You think they won’t be able to fix it?

The screw itself doesn't let the projector turn on. There's a sensor behind the lamp that needs to be depressed, and all the screws play a part in that. The 2 screws that hold the lamp unit need to be right (press down on the lamp when you tighten the screws) and then the lamp door needs to be tight. If there's a broken screw inside the unit that's messing with any of that, it won't turn on.

I don't think your warranty will cover it unless you can convince them that it is a defect and not improper maintenance.