Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I HAVE AN OLD 225 AMP LINCOLN, IDT SEEMS NOT TO WELD AS GOOD…

Customer Question
I HAVE AN OLD...

I HAVE AN OLD 225 AMP LINCOLN, IDT SEEMS NOT TO WELD AS GOOD AS GOOD AS IT ONCE DID, EVEN AFTER A RECENT OVERHAUL, THE GROUND IS IN POOR REPAIR AND GET TOO HOT TO TOUCH AFTER WELDING A WHILE 30 MINUTES OR LESS SHOULD I REPLACE ?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

255 AMP LINCLOLN 1965 YEAR MODEL

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

NO THING DIFFERENT RODS WHAT ABOUT THE POLARITY?

Technician's Assistant: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

NO THANKS

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/4/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 month ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The ground or other connection will get hot if it has raised resistance to current flow, causing local heating there. (And removing some current flow from the welding itself, which will be less hot, more reluctant, etc.)

So wherever it is hot, clean it, or check the connection, the cable, etc. One good thing, if it is a clamp-type ground, is to clean, with sandpaper or a brief touch with a dremel even, the surface which the clamp is going to be clamped onto, and also sandpaper or at least touch-up with a clean rag cloth, the surfaces of the clamp itself.

Does that help? If so, would you be willing to rate my answer? if so, let me know your intended rating in Reply To Expert. And if you need further advice, let me know and I will help and advise you further.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I will replace ground cable, it has been spiced. what polality should I be using straight ? or does it maker any difference?most of the material i weld is used pipe and never clean,as long i can stike an arc i feel i am grounded ok

A ground cable is one wire, one connection, basically. So 'polarity' doesn't apply much, provided you connect the new ground cable to the same connection you remove the old ground cable from, I think.

The ground, if connected to a dirty patch of pipe, will heat up. Even just wiping the pipe off a bit before putting on the ground cable clamp will help.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just has book knowledge, no hands on experience

Actually I do have real-life welding experience.

If I can help you with this issue any further, please let me know. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.

Russell H., Service Tech