Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Following a storm 2 weeks ago, my Samsung Xpress M2875FW…

Customer Question
Following a storm 2...

Following a storm 2 weeks ago, my Samsung Xpress M2875FW printer will not print from my Mac 10.6.8 - it is getting power, and will copy a page - but not documents from the computer. My internet and phone are also down (have bought some emergency internet from Telstra Fon to tide me over.

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your Xpress: wirelessly or by USB?

By usb - have tried a different cable, and have disconnected everfything and re joined.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

I haven't - I have had the printer since 4/2014. I uninstalled the software, then tried to reinstall from the original cd, but it comes up with 'error'.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is it!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/3/2018
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The Samsung printer will have to be uninstalled, then reinstalled, in order to work properly with the new router or new internet from Telstra Fon.

A wireless or networked printer prints through the router - the router assigns its address to the printer, or assigns the local net address to the printer. When the router is changed, that address (of the printer) changes. The old address being referenced in the printer's driver as installed on the computer, it points to a nonexistent place now.

So turn Off the printer, and uninstall the printer driver/configuration as it is on your computer.

Then restart your computer (to clear its memory out a bit.)

Then, reinstall the printer, as if it were a new, never-before-installed, printer. (If you need fresh drivers owing to not having a CD disc for your Samsung printer, let me know, and I will provide a location from which to download fresh drivers for that printer model and for MAC OS X 10.6.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.