Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My Kenwood P-28 turntable is not working (not spinning).

Customer Question
My Kenwood P-28 turntable...

My Kenwood P-28 turntable is not working (not spinning). What is the likely issue?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your P-28?

Since 1994

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Kenwood product?

Turning on the power, switched to Phono, and tried to manually lift the arm across. Nothing happens

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
1/1/2018
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 6 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Kenwood P-28..."

Ok

Initially, is the P-28 completely/electrically dead?

Can’t tell as there is no digital display or sound coming from it.
All other parts of the unit work except the turntable

...no vibrations, no whirring sound?

If no motor action, then it would be indicative of an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Possibly do it myself. I’ll open the unit tomorrow morning and check any obvious issues. Any thoughts on what parts I should check? I gather the multimeter will check where for breaks in the electrical supply

Great on the DIY!

Yes; with the unit unplugged, the multi-meter would be used to check for continuity and resistance.

Foremost to check would be the fuse/s, transformer and bridge diodes.
Please post back with clear pictures of the "...internal circuitry..." Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Can I get back to you tomorrow morning?

Yes please; tomorrow or when conveniently able.

Ok. Just checked the plug. It wasn’t plugged in �� but when I plugged it in it was making a whirring sound (probably why it was unplugged in the first place). Possibly needs a belt replaced?
Also, the elevation arm isn’t working

Significant information; whirring sound. It is therefore not electrically dead and the motor is most likely working as expected.

Yes, the belt would need looking into; possibly loose, deformed or even has failed completely.

For the elevation arm, likely would need cleaning and/or re-lubrication if not a complete dis-assembly.

The belt is Part Number D16-0317-08.

Please click HERE for a replacement.

Thanks Louie. Will open the unit tomorrow

Cheers.

Please click HERE from the Service Manual.

Hi Louie. I’ve looked at this manual but it’s not very clear. Can you interpret the difference between my photos and the Service Manual?

Carefully turn/adjust the cam so as to make the short end push on the L-end of the link.

It just bounces away. Don’t worry about assisting any further. We’ll just buy a new turntable.
Please cancel this query and arrange for credit to my account

My participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues as well as related information.

Request for cancellation, refunds as well as billings & payments concerns are best addressed by Customer Support.

Please cancel and arrange refund $50

Done; "...cancel...refund..." relayed to Customer Support through channels.

Please do not post a reply so as not to re-open the question thread.