Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I get the error message "...an error registering your

Customer Question
I get the error...

I get the error message "...an error registering your device..." when I try to connect to my own WiFi. It's either not accepting my password ***** there's some other problem. So far I haven't been able to finish setting up my new Echo!! Thanks, ***** *****

Technician's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

No, no error messages before. I get them now whether I use my relatively old MacAir laptop or my brand new iPhone 7S

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Doing what work? I'm trying to set up Echo myself, if that's what you mean.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

You tell me. I plugged Echo in. The circular light turned orange. I thought things were going well until I tried to connect to my own WiFi network -- which works very well for my iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air. And the network works well for visitors who come to our house. So I'm wondering why Echo won't connect to it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I just tried to connect Echo again to my WiFi. This time the error message was "Unable to complete setup, please try again." Which I've now done a couple of times...to no avail. Thanks.
I've also been notified that my "wait time" for an answer would be about 8 minutes -- unfortunately, I've received that notice twice over a period of about 25 minutes. Any thoughts about when some help will be on its way? Thanks.
Finally, you should know that I have 3 Sonos speakers that operate throughout the house via my WiFi router, so it seems to me that my WiFi is solid. Just can't understand why Echo won't connect to it!
12/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

To rule out the wireless network as the cause of the issue, power down the router/modem that provides your wireless network and unplug the power cord as well. Wait 3 minutes. Then plug in the power cord on the router/modem and power up the device. Wait for the router/modem to completely start up. Restart the Echo and all devices connected to the wireless network and test to see if the issue is resolved.
Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

A better recommendation I got was to reboot one device. I rebooted my iPad, unplugged and replugged echo, and started all over. Worked beautifully. Connected to my WiFi easily. Did not need to reboot my router, though that would probably have worked too. Thanks for getting back to me.

Ok, thanks for letting me know and glad it is now working! :)

Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.