Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Re Case ID #407953. Sony UBP-X800. Around 3 months. I can't…

Customer Question
Re Case ID #407953 ...

Re Case ID #407953

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Sony UBP-X800

Technician's Assistant: How old is your UBP-X800?

Around 3 months

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your UBP-X800?

I can't get Closed Captions to show up from the player through the HDMI input of the attached TV. There is no CC button on remote, only a "Subtitle" button which does nothing. The documentation says that American versions of the product support Closed Captioning, and in the Setup menu [Home screen> Setup] there is a menu to format the appearance of closed captions. The only thing missing is a way to turn them on and off.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

The instructions point out that the "subtitles" button is for something else, not closed captions. Tech support for the LG television says (and verified by my own online research) that the HDMI interface does not carry CC info to the TV, so the CC control on the television is NOT the answer. The CC must be activated in the input (i.e., the Sony Blueray,) device, The discs I use are known to have CC content because they work OK in other disk players using the composite picture output.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 6 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer! Before we get started, it looks like you may be trying to reach another company. JustAnswer is a question and answer site and not affiliated with the company you are trying to reach. I am a certified technician and if you'd like to continue on JustAnswer, I will try my best to help you with your question. Otherwise, if you came here by mistake, let me know and the Customer Care team will reach out to you.

I actually thought at first I was on the Sony support site. Cancel everything, if you can.