Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Polk Audio subwoofer that keeps blowing its fuse…

Customer Question
I have a Polk...

I have a Polk Audio subwoofer that keeps blowing its fuse (1.6A) 120vac, and I believe that one or more of the diodes are shorted....I need the schematic of the main PCB so I can repair this unit....pls advise

Technician's Assistant: What Polk Audio model do you have?

PSW111

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Polk Audio system?

Verified that there are no burnt components on the PCB...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

I have disassembled the complete unit so I can inspect or replace any defective components

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Electrotech2017, Technician replied 1 month ago
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to assist you with your Polk Audio subwoofer issue. Sorry to hear you are having issues with it.
I myself worked on a few of the Amplifier modules. Unfortunately Polk Audio/ Definitive Technology do not give out service manuals. The Amp module has most likely shorted output transistors and open resistors. It is quite hard to catch all of the parts without a schematic. But what I can do is, I can can call Polk audio for you, to find out if they would consider to send you another complete Amp module at no charge. Depending if they have it in stock. If you can provide me with your Name, Model number and Serial number , I'm more than happy to check for you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Martin, The model is PSW111, and the s/n is #407270366...hope you can get Polk to send a replacement. ***************************

Ok I will. When I get back to work tomorrow, I will call them and try to set it up. Only other way I saw, is to purchase the complete Amp module RF1145-2 for $125 from
http://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-audio-psw111-rf111-amplifier-assembly-rf1145-2-220v/
But let me try to get the amp module from Polk. I will keep you posted tomorrow. Thanks
Good morning, I had left a message with Kim Jasper at Polk Audio 1-***-***-**** Ext 5208. But I have not received a call back. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
Good evening, I was hoping that I would receive a call but unfortunately I didn't. I assume they were already on Holiday break. I'll will let you know as soon as I hear something.
I finally got a hold of Polk Audio and they will ship a new amp module free of charge to your address. I hope you happy with that. Order#197161
If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied.
Hello just checking if you had received my message and possibly already the replacement Amplifier module ? Thanks
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Technician