Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have Edifier Spinnaker speakers that have been great.

Customer Question
I have Edifier Spinnaker...

I have Edifier Spinnaker speakers that have been great. Lately they keep dropping the Bluetooth connection. I have unplugged (for many minutes), re-booted my Mac, etc, but nothing has corrected it. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

High Sierra

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

A couple of weeks. Unplugging the Spinnakers until the red light is well off, rebooting the Mac. I don't have this issue with a Harmon Kardon speaker I have.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I know of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Bluetooth speakers question.

First, make sure no electronic device nor any electric appliance is interfering with the Bluetooth signal. That shouldn't happen, but suspect any device recently introduced into the setup or installed anew anywhere nearby, of perhaps producing radio spectrum noise that causes Bluetooth linkup to fail. (You can unplug devices, as well as turning Off the battery powered ones... take any cordless phone handset out of the room too... to make sure none of them are causing the problem.)

Second, try another Bluetooth device (if you have any others) with the Mac, and see whether it has any problem either - if not, then your computer isn't at fault, the speakers most likely are.

Third: speakers with a Bluetooth connection do sometimes fail to work, though usually not in an 'erratic connection' way, but rather in a complete failure to work. But the speakers' Bluetooth hardware is most likely to be at fault in a case like this, and if the first and second have been eliminated, that leaves the speakers as the place where the fault or breakage has occurred, I think.

Now, if they (the speakers) are less than a year old, you might be able to get them repaired under warranty. Let me know in Reply, if that seems to be the case, and I will tell you more about how to proceed with the speakers.

(I note that you have Harman Kardon speakers that do not show the problem. If they are working on the Bluetooth connection, then your computer is not at fault, the Edifier Spinnaker speakers are.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Service Tech