Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

We are getting the message check phone line. We have checked…

Customer Question
We are getting the...

We are getting the message check phone line. We have checked all lines. Unlinked the cell phone what else can we try

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Iphone ios

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPhone? What have you tried so far?

We have disconnected all phones

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

About a week its been going on

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/27/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the phone system you are working with? If this is a cordless system, that model should be printed on a sticker on the bottom or back of the MAIN base station (model sent is for a cordless handset).

2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line and if so, are they working properly?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Panasonic kxtgf370, we have verizon fios yes a iphone 6s and yes

OK - when asking about OTHER phones, I was actually asking about LANDLINE PHONES.

So can I assume you do NOT have any other landline phones - attached to the FIOS landline?

And if so, do you have a different landline phone available that CAN be attached to the landline phone line - as a TEST?

Thanks

No

OK - as a different TEST - can you use the cell phone to call the landline number - and tell me what is heard IN THE CALLING PHONE?

Goes directly to voice mail

OK - next step/test - please disconnect the phone cord from the Panasonic base unit - WAIT about 2 minutes - and then while the phone cord is still disconnected REPEAT the TEST CALL (from the cell to landline number) and let me know if the test call still goes immediately to voice mail.

Thanks

it does

OK - that was pretty fast.

Please leave the phone cord disconnected - WAIT another 2 minutes - and then repeat the TEST CALL.

The idea of this TEST is to see IF the Panasonic system is CAUSING this issue OR if it is DETECTING this issue.

Still goes directly to voice mail

OK - so let me as a new question:

Do you have a "main box" - sometimes called a "modem" - from Verizon - that the phone cord from the MAIN BASE of the Panasonic plugs into - for the phone services?

I believe so

OK - please check IF you can locate that box, and if so, is there a "PHONE" light on that box - that is lighted, flashing, etc.?

Also, let me know if there are OTHER indicators on that box, such as for internet, TV services, etc.

All lights are on except the wan one

So can you CONFIRM that there are several lights, and at least one of them is labeled PHONE or TELE (for the phone services)?

All lights are on

Does ONE of the lights have a label near it - that says "PHONE" or something like that?

its on

Thanks for that information.

OK - it is possible that "box" is "stuck" - when it comes to the phone services, and often a RESET of that box will clear that condition.

To RESET that box, you should be able to removed POWER from that box - including any backup battery - and leave the power disconnected for AT LEAST TWO FULL minutes.

During that time, ALL the lights should be OFF,

After the delay time, reconnect power and allow another couple of minutes for the box to "reload & reboot" - to restart all the services through that box.

After the lights return to their normal pattern, TEST the phones to make sure the "Check tel line" message has gone away AND that a dial tone can be heard.

Also, at TEST CALL from the cell to the landline number should be made - to verify that calls coming in actually ring.

IF the reset has no affect, a call to the Technical Support folks at the provider should be made to report this issue and have it looked into. You will of course need to use a working phone to make that call, but the Technical Support group should be available 24/7/365. I have the main contact information for Verizon below - if you need it.

Verizon Customer Support: 1-***-***-****

Please let me know what happens with the RESET mentioned above, or if you have any more questions about this issue.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer