Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I have an older Panasonic Microwave Model TT-9948FR. it

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older Panasonic Microwave Model TT-9948FR. it works good but the turntable stopped working and I need to learn how to change the inside light. Repair services want to charge more than it's worth just to look at it and say "Panasonic parts are hard to come by!" Can you guide me?

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your -9948FR?

Since it was new, date of manufacture 12/05

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

Called several repair folks, w/ no luck. If you could provide me w/ an online manual, maybe I could replace the light myself (right now access seems hidden). We can live without the turntable, but if a fix is not too diff/technical, maybe I could fix that, too.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No, Thank you, Pearl, & Happy New Year!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/27/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your microwave question.

I am seeking the service manual or repair manual that you obviously need for the specifics of such a (simple) task (the replacing of the light bulb.)

As for the turntable, is it simply not moving at all? or does it jerk feebly a little, without getting anywhere? or some other 'broken' behavior? that might provide a clue as to the hidden details of that problem.

Not moving at all - feeble jerking nor noises of any kind - completely dormant

If it neither clanks nor struggles to move, it's linkage is probably unshipped or broken straight through or the like, rather than merely jammed or loose.

Now, I think you gave me the serial # of the microwave, for it isn't listed anywhere. To find a service repair manual, I will need to ask you to get the true and full model #, please, of the manufacturer's label.

As for the light bulb, first unplug the microwave from the power, and wait at least 10 minutes to let the stored power and charge in the device dissipate, for safety. (Note: microwaves can be quite dangerous, so this precaution is necessary.)

Then look inside the door for the cover over the bulb - if your model has screws around the edges of that cover-over-the-bulb, unscrew those screws, remove the cover, remove the bulb, replace with an accurate and exact replacement bulb, and reverse the process to put in the new bulb.

If the bulb (and what is over it) is different from the description above, don't try removing the cover... more elaborate disassembly may be necessary.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(Please note: the carousel repair would require extensive disassembly, with the microwave Off and unplugged for a while beforehand, to even determine what is wrong. At this point, it's about that simple... and of course, the part of the microwave you'd need to get at, would be the underneath part, since that's where the carousel rotation is driven.)

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)