Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Hoverboard worked fine yesterday now this morning I get a…

Customer Question
Hoverboard worked fine yesterday now...
Hoverboard worked fine yesterday now this morning I get a red circle light on one side and a red battery light on the other side. Charger shows green like its fully charged. I have tried a different charger from my daughters that works on here board and still nothing. Doesn’t seeem to be charging. Any suggestsions?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/26/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The number of times the red circle flashes means something specific. It should flash a number of times, then pause, then flash that number of times again.

If the 'board is over 1 1/3 years old, I would guess the red circle light is flashing 6 times, then pausing, then flashing 6 times. That, and the red battery light, means the battery is defective and needs replacing.

Rechargeable batteries do fail, eventually. I suspect that is what has happened. (But if the number of flashes is different, let me know - whatever number it is, even just 1 flash, tell me, and I will indicate what is wrong and what you need to do.)

If you need any guide or direction as to what battery to buy to replace the one in the 'board, just Reply and let me know and I will provide that information, also.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

I’m not sure how many flashes it gives cause I’m not there currently but can find out and let you know. We just bought it for a Christmas gift, charged it all night a sit was used for about two hours. Plugged it in in again Christmas night and then this morning that’s how it’s acting

That's not good news for gift-giving prospects. It should be working fully to be in condition to be a gift.

I think it's pretty certain that it is defective from the store - pack it up, put it in original packaging, take it back promptly before the return-exchange period runs out, get a return-exchange on it for another of the same model, and give that one as a gift, even if late. That should work out - though we can still observe the # of blinks and see what it indicates specifically if you like. Let me know, when you find out.

Thanks.