Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Sony, Merry xmas. The old dts 3 stacker it's saying protect.

Customer Question
Hi Sony John, Merry...

Hi Sony John, Merry xmas

Technician's Assistant: What Sony product do you have?

The old dts 3 stacker it's saying protect

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sony product?

I tried tuning in to a station, and it went silly, saying that it's protect..must have pressed something else not realising

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really, just want to take protect off..no buttons will respond

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/25/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

"Protect" is an indicator that there are either ONE of the following issues occurring:

1) A blown or faulty speaker connected to the receiver (showing the Receiver's Speaker Outputs a Dead Short).

2)A speaker wire that is shorting against the chassis, or a bare end of wire touching an adjacent wire (The MOST common cause of this problem).

3) Faulty Output Transistors inside the receiver itself. These are the IC devices that directly Power and Drive the Speakers.Unplug the unit from AC power, and disconnect all of the speakers AND Speaker Wiring) from the back of the receiver. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the "PROTECT" indicator to come on.

This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.If the unit shows "Protect" with NO speakers connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired.

The outputs are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range for this receiver, and MAY be more cost effective to replace it- versus repairing it.

However if you'd like to get another opinion, or are considering having it serviced, you can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?