Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I want increase the number of rings before the recorder

Customer Question
I want increase the...

I want increase the number of rings before the recorder responds to the caller. The default setting is 4 rings. I've tried to increase it 7 rings per the instructions provided. Even though, it says I-I have 7 rings, the recorder kicks in after 4. I must be doing something wrong. HELP !!!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

Panasonic KX-TGE463/KX or 654

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

Menu #211 then desired setting of 7. then save and off

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/20/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

If you pick up the line, do you hear a few beeps or a fast/stutter tone prior to the dial tone?

a few beeps.

Thank you for checking, that is what I had expected.

The settings you've changed on the panasonic have worked just fine. What is happening is that your callers are reaching a voicemail service provided by the phone company. It is answering before your home answering machine has a chance to pick up the line, which is why they may hear a different greeting, why it picks up after fewer rings, and why you get no messages when checking your home answering machine.
The solution in that case is to contact the phone company and have them cancel/remove the voicemail service from your account, OR as an alternative, you could just stop using the answering machine and use the voicemail function instead. You can record your own greeting on the voicemail if you like, and voicemail actually has several advantages: it is always on, meaning it will work even if the power goes out, while the answering machine could stop taking or playing messages if it is ever damaged or unplugged. VM will also work even if you're on another call, with answering machine, the 2nd caller would just get a busy signal. For these reasons, I tend to recommend voicemail over using your own machine, simply because it tends to be more reliable and accessible. The choice is yours of course though.

Best regards,

Nathan, Engineer