Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

55 inch Panasonic TC-P50530/MD-11090937/ 120 V- 50/60Hz/Mfg…

Customer Question
55 inch Panasonic TC-P50530/MD-11090937/...

55 inch Panasonic TC-P50530/MD-11090937/ 120 V- 50/60Hz/Mfg Date April 2011 Heard a little click and TV shut down. Checked all other devises with [email protected]/ all ok. How do I fix TV? 12/15/2017 today's date Thanks for your help! ***** *****(###) ###-#### Tracy, CA 95376

Technician's Assistant: Are all the cables at the back of your TV connected tightly to the right sockets?

Yes, all cables were tight

Technician's Assistant: What type of input cables are you using: HDMI, RCA (red, yellow, and white cables), S-Video, or something else?

Red,yellow and white/ OEM power adaptor model:ADS0202 U12067 input:100-240V-50-60Hz 06A out put:12V--1.67A FOR I.T.E. power supply LPS 48GK Q4500 c(UL) US E199780 LISTED CEFOo

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Can it be fixed?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 7 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Are there currently ANY signs of life from the TV (power light lit or blinking)?

Are you there and do you need help with this?

I SENT all information. You have my details. And my Question!
I don't know anything else. I said the Red Light was on, blinked some time.
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is significantly past its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

For reference, this is a 50 inch model.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $400 range or less.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.