Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I am seeking a refund or credit of $50 - 60. On Dec 1, I…

Customer Question
I am seeking a...

I am seeking a refund or credit of $50 - 60. On Dec 1, I chatted with Sony about my Sony PCM D50 recorder. I was told to contact United Radio. I mentioned during the chat the model number and had a conversation with the person at Sony. I then called United Radio and discussed the matter with them. They were told the model number and they told me to send it to them. I sent it to them. Most recently they have sent it back with a note that this is a professional product and they can not deal with it. Now, when I get the unit back I shall send it to a place in Teaneck NJ.

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your D50?

I bought it in 2009.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sony product?

Well, I first called the pro dept at(###) ###-#### The answerer sent me an email with a service order to send the unit to NJ. He referred me to the consumer dept at (###) ###-####to ask about the credit issue. I called consumer dept who said they can't help, and referred me back to the pro group. When I spoke again to the pro group, they referred me back to the consumer group and suggested that I ask for a manager in customer relations (they also suggested I call United Radio, or ask if the chat message with Sony could be found and an escalation done). I just called consumer and in the middle the call the line went dead.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

I use Outlook. My email address is***@******.***, which is a private domain I get through Namecheap, I think the company is named.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Well, I am not sure why the Microsoft Office Expert is involved. Am I speaking with Sony? The chat took place December 1

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. We are not Sony, though we do support Sony equipment and questions about Sony devices.

My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your Sony recorder question.

I think the having-it-sent-back with a note about it being a 'professional' product meant, simply, that it maybe should have gone to the Professional equipment division rather than the Consumer division. Corporations like Sony have large numbers of branches, sometimes distinguished drastically and obviously, sometimes distinguished with a greater deal of subtlety. But, I sympathize with what must have been a disappointing experience.

As for the refund: If 'consumer' division did nothing but send it back, did they charge you? and indeed, why should they? is a good question to ask.

I advise you to call

1(###) ###-####/p>

Sony Corporation/Customer service

and try to explain, calmly and in minor amounts of detail, that you have a charges issue with a Consumer equipment repair department that did not service your equipment. I hope this advice helps you with this issue.