Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My phone says "line in use". There is no one else using my…

Customer Question
My phone says "line...

My phone says "line in use". There is no one else using my phone. How do I clear this message?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

Panasonic KX-TGL460

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?

All morning. I have tried to find some way to clear this without any luck.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 8 months ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist with this issue today.

Sorry to hear of any issue with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, do ALL handsets have this issue?

2) What landline phone service provider (phone company) you have for this phone line?

3) Do you have ANY other devices/phones (NOT part of the main system) attached to this same phone line?

Please REPLY using the box below and the SEND button.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: *** ANY requests for "additional services" (such as a phone call) are OPTIONAL and sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT available by phone at the moment.
Please DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

1)3 headsets (2) Cox Communications (3) No

Thanks for that information.

Can you do a quick TEST for me?

That TEST is to disconnect the PHONE CORD from the main base unit (or phone jack), and then CHECK if the display of the handsets CHANGES - to some other message.

Thanks

I did that. Nothing changed??
Try(###) ###-####. . . my cell

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Did you leave the phone cord DISCONNECTED and then look at the displays?

If not, please try again - leaving the cord disconnected and then pick up a handset and try using it.

Thanks

A message came back that said: "Check tel line" ?? Do I need to call my local phone company? Thanks

OK - the "Check tel line" is the correct response from the Panasonic system - WHEN it is disconnected from the phone line - so that is a "good thing".

NEXT step is to LEAVE THE PHONE LINE disconnected for AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES, and then RECONNECT the phone cord - to see if the "line in use" comes back.

Can you do that for me?

Thanks

Also, DURING that FIVE MINUTE disconnect, you can try calling the landline number FROM an outside number - such as your cell phone - to TEST if the call appears to go through. This is done by listening for the "ring indication" IN THE CALLING PHONE.

Please let me know if you can do that TEST - and the results.

Thanks

I'll give the 5 minute test a try. Will advise . . . thanks

Let me know if you can do the TEST CALL - from the cell - DURING the FIVE MINUTES disconnect - and what is heard in the calling phone.

Thanks

I disconnected the phone for 5 minutes . . . nothing changed. Still says "line in use."

OK - can I assume that the displays showed "check tel line" when the phone cord was disconnected - and THEN went back to "Line in use" when reconnecting the phone cord?

Also, was the TEST CALL - from the cell to the Panasonic number placed?

Thanks

Okay, I tried calling the line that is not working(###) ###-####from my cell(###) ###-#### The answer I heard was the "account was not set up." ?? Don't know what that means. I just want to clear the line so I can make/receive calls on my land line. This is frustrating.

I can understand the frustration. Please try to work with me to clear this up.

When the TEST call was placed, did you hear ANY RINGING - IN THE CALLING PHONE - before the "not set up" announcement?

when I disconnected to phone line it still said "line in use."
I did try calling the number not working an heard the message: "account not set up." Don't know what that's about??

OK - an "account not set up" can be heard IF a "Voicemail system" from the service provider has not been established OR there is some equipment or network failure - with the service provider.

Since you mentioned having COX as a phone service provider, you MAY want to contact their Technical Support group for your local area.

Use the following link to find the Cox Customer Support number for your local area.
You should see a "Select a Location" at the top right of that page.

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/contact-us.cox

Also, IF you have a "bundled" service with Cox (phone, internet, TV, etc.) AND have a MAIN BOX in your location, we MAY be able to "reset" that main box, to restore the phone services. Let me know if you have such a box and if you want to try that reset.

Thanks, ***** *****

My phone provider is Century Link, not Cox, my mistake. I called CL and they are sending someone out tomorrow morning. I don't think I have any other choice. The phone still says: "Line in use." Thanks

OK - have you seen the "troubleshooting" video - from Century Link" - about issues like this?

If not, I have a link to that video below.

How to Troubleshoot for Static or Noise on your Phone Line, or When You Have No Dial Tone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ohexyr_cA

Please give that a look and let me know if you can do ANY of that troubleshooting.

Thanks, ***** *****

Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked. Regret having to pay $36 and not get the benefit. I don't believe it is my best interest (financial or otherwise) to continue with this service. Thank you.
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi again,

Did you watch the video I sent and TRY to find out if the issue is INSIDE or OUTSIDE of your home?

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)