Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I was filming with my camera today when it fell on the

Customer Question
I was filming with...

I was filming with my camera today when it fell on the ground. Now it says “error. Press shutter button again” but now when I do, nothing happens with the camera. I can’t take pictures or videos with it.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your camera?

Nikon

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Nikon?

I’ve presses the shutter, changed the battery, taken off the lense, gone into the settings, but I’m don’t find anything in there.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

I don’t know very much about cameras and something also isn’t working right with the auto exposure; when I take pictures they’re super exposed, but video is 100% fine if I keep it on the Auto setting. I’m filming a project for school and I have limited days to get it all filmed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
12/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 7 months ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

This problem can happen if the mirror inside the camera is stuck.

You could try carefully checking that it is moving ok when the lens is removed.

However it is likely that the shock of the drop has damaged part of the mechanism and the camera will require a repair.

You can arrange a repair through your local Nikon dealer, or online at:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-and-repair.page

--------------------
Happy Holidays!
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------