Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have discs in all 5 of my Panasonic SA=AK17 but when I try…

Customer Question
I have discs in...

I have discs in all 5 of my Panasonic SA=AK17 but when I try to play each one of the 5 comes up "NO DISC"

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your SA=AK17?

Long time.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

Wiping out the trays and discs and reinserting them, different discs and unplugging unit

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Ids there a fee for this service

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

I will try the compressed air first.
If that doesn't work I will probably just replace it. What will I be charged for this call?

I would agree, it is most definitely not worth servicing it, this system is far past its service life and would cost more to fix than to buy a new one.

We're all independent techs here so I can't see that account info, but the fee is the amount that was shown on the payment page which you agreed to when posting your question.

When we're done here, you can click on the Account link at the top of the page to verify that.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Engineer