Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

Consumer Electronics

I have a Horizon T202 treadmill for which the incline motor

Hi I have a Horizon...
Hi I have a Horizon T202 treadmill for which the incline motor seemed to stop working. After much troubleshooting I determined that the lift motor itself is not damaged (no gearbox or freezing issues, coil/capacitor all ok) and wires and harnesses all passed the continuity test on the control board. The console is beeping and controlling everything else. The only odd thing I noticed is that while the treadmill is plugged in and stopped from the console, the control board seems to be passing 120V current to the lift motor, when you would think current only should be sent to the lift motor when the treadmill is started.
Please let me know if I am on to something and if so what to look for.
12/12/2017
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Are all cable connections secure between the console and the base?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Pete, yes everything seems to be tight, have not seen anything loose

What is showing on the display?
Does the incline number appear to increase normally?

Are you getting any error codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The console does not show any errors, just the speed and incline grades changing each time the relevant button is pressed - both up and down.
One note I can add is as soon as this treadmill is plugged in (normally w/o the present problem) the lift motor will do a small calibrate move, for maybe a second or less. Now that there is a problem it does not do that, however as I mentioned I am getting a 120V reading from the harness even with the unit turned off from console.

Ok, then it is definitely a signal problem from the console to the motor - can you check again for any damage to the wiring, and test the wires for continuity?

Was the machine moved or stored at all, or did the problem just occur suddenly?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no worries I will check the wires again either tonight or tomorrow when I get home. I am assuming you mean the wires going in and out of the console. Let me know if I should concentrate on one particular section or just overall.

The wires that run internally from the console to the base, in particular those going to the motor control board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the lag in response, couldnt get to this before the weekend. I opened up the treadmill column to access the connecting console cable and tested for continuity for both from the top console to the connecting cable, and from there to the control board: both cables passed continutiy.
To answer your earlier question, at one point the machine was only moved from one side of the room to the other but it was working fine until it started acting up. I had someone come in to check it, and all he did was visual testing and looking for loose connections when the incline started working. It stopped working again an hour after he left.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hope the first part of my last post was clear. I tested the console cable from the console to the connector in the column, and then again from the connector to the base control board. Both cables tested ok.
Maybe I can do a voltage test somewhere, just not sure what to i should be looking for.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hi I have not heard back from you, are we done?

If the cable connections secure between the console and the base and the console appears to be working fine then the control board in the base is suspect.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Happy holidays, sorry for the slow reply.
Is there a way to isolate the faulty component on that board?
In the meantime I tested the red-white and black-white connections on the incline motor harness and im getting 120 vac (on both) with the machine plugged in but stopped, which theoretically should show zero. The harness connector is 10-pin with 7 wires being used: red, black, blue, white, teal, orange, green. Hope that helps.

Isolating a faulty component is possible but it is very time-consuming and expensive, it requires a lot of diagnostic testing and comparing test results against expected readings on a schematic diagram. This is why the entire faulty board is usually replaced, as it is much more cost-effective and reliable.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
at this point are we certain that the issue here is the control board (or a component on it)? If so my only option would be to install an external switch to control the motor as the mcb is expensive. It is cheaper than a whole treadmill but I still dont have that full certainty that its the culprit.

It is likely that the issue is the control board or a component on it, however you cannot be 100% certain until you swap in a known good board.

Most suppliers will offer the board on a sale-or-return basis, where you can try it and keep it if it works or return it if it is not required.

--------------------

Happy New Year!

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)

You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.

Pete.

--------------------

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thank you for all your help Pete
Pete, Electronic Engineer