Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

I recently purchased an Extender EF 2X III for use with my…

Customer Question
I recently purchased an...

I recently purchased an Extender EF 2X III for use with my new EOS 80D. I have a telescope complete with the appropriate adapter for the 80D and have taken good pictures in that configuration. I added the extender between the 80D and the adaptor and get a message on the camera that electrical connections are bad and must be cleaned. So the camera works fine without the extender but not with it. What is happening and how do I fix it?

Technician's Assistant: How old is your EOS?

2 months

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your EOS?

I have a couple of other Canon lenses and they work fine

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not have a compatible Canon lens to test with the extender

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Answered in 1 day by:
12/13/2017
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

the extender is still giving errors to the camera
With no lens mounted on the camera body, the camera will still operate and try to take a picture.

I do not show that the EOS 80D is a compatible camera with that extender.

The Canon specs on the extender refer to it as an EF lens. The 80D according to my manual is "compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses" It cannot be used with an EF-M lens. Is one of these specs wrong?

Listed with the Extender EF 2X III specs are the compatible cameras and the 80D was not one of them.

The specs I found on the Canon website lists only compatible lenses and does not exclude camera bodies. Where did you find the spec you quoted?
OK

Thank you