Consumer Electronics

Electronics Repair Questions? Ask an Electronics Technician

My safe combo no longer works. SentrySafe don't see model or…

Customer Question
My safe combo no...

My safe combo no longer works

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?

SentrySafe don't see model or serial#

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Round keypad in the middle of door

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Consumer Electronics
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/9/2017
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

If there are no lights showing on the safe when you enter the combination, at any time, and no beep tones sounding, then the batteries must be dead, that power the keypad.

Depending upon your safe model you may have either of two options:

1. to open your safe with the Emergency key - that's what it's for, the times when the safe doesn't open with the keypad for whatever reason.

2. or, to place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment. (This applies to some models with keypads. For other models it might be a somewhat different method, so please tell me your model #, and I will tell you whether this is indeed appropriate for your safe model.)

Note that if the old batteries have leaked brown corrosion onto things, cleaning will have to be done, of the battery compartment terminals at least, before the safe will have a chance of working again. This is best done with cotton (or rag cloth) moistened with rubbing alcohol. Once the terminals are shiny again, let them dry for 5+ minutes, then put in the batteries - with proper orientation with regard to + and - poles - and try the safe's combination again.

If the problem is not that of a battery or batteries gone dead, then enter the code, and listen at the door for a 'click'. If there is no click, the safe may be 'broken', the latch solenoid or other propulsive mechanism no longer working.

If there is a click, but the safe does not unlatch, try tapping gently around the rim of the door with a rubber mallet, then enter the code again. If that doesn't free it up, try pressing the door inward while entering the code.

After that... if it still doesn't open... let me know, and I will advise you further.

No click when I put in the combination. Pushing in doesn't work. Tapping it with a mallet doesn't work.
Light stays on in middle, so it's the correct combination.
My dafe doesn't have a key.

Is it possible that the batteries have gotten weak? the keypad is powered by batteries.

Try changing them, unless you already have:

- place both hands upon the keypad, then pull it upward to unlock it from the door, then pull it toward you to access the battery compartment. (This applies to some models with keypads. For others, the ones with a little pin-hole in the lower face of the keypad area, you release a latch by pushing a switch/release just inside that pin-hole with a sharp object or a straightened paper-clip's end, and the battery compartment part can be slid to the left or the right and gotten out of the keypad.)

Batteries are new

OK... you will need to get and try applying safe lubricant, or lock lubricant, then.

The latches may be stuck. The mallet-tapping, the pushing-inward, are supposed to help loosen a stuck latch.

Safe lubricant is not oil nor grease nor WD-40, which can all gum up the works in the long run. It is a silicone-powder lubricant that is blown into the latch area and into the crack at one side of the door where the latches hold the door shut. You can buy it at any good hardware store... it's also called Lock lubricant. It is most definitely silicone-based.

Apply it by blowing it in as I just specified, then wait 20 minutes or longer, and try the code/combination/mallet/holding-in, again.

Let me know how that goes... I hope it works, it does sometimes, about 3 of 4 cases. (In the remainder of cases... the safe is defective enough that it has to be broken open, and ruined, basically, I'm sorry to say. Just to be honest with the possibly bad news that may come of this case.)